Reporters:  Have you ever refused or requested not to work with a particular videographer? If you would care to tell why, that would be great. Thanks.

Views: 1517

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like she is depressed, Kelli.  Kind of sad.

I've worked with the same videographer.  I wonder if she's homeless...

I don't think so.  I know she has family in the area.  Her clothes don't look dirty.  I really like her as a videographer; she's very conscious of what she's doing.  It's only this one issue and I don't always have it with her, only the last couple of times.  You probably have worked with her, Susan, because she's one of the main vids at this court reporting agency.

I've never told an agency that I refused to work with somebody, but I have cut agencies from my list (for my clients) when something bad happens.  

Although, I did work for an East Coast agency and they hired a local videographer that was just horribly irritating all.day.long.  Every off-the-record moment turned into "all about me," the videographer.  I ended up referring another firm to them, without complaining about their first choice.  They were happy to get the referral (I hope they use it!). 

I knew another videographer that also never would bathe either.  That changed once he got a girlfriend and then he started caring wht he smelled like.  LOL

I worked with one of the original videographer owners many, many years ago.  The attorney, who always uses this videographer, is very well-known for shenanigans.  The very last comments from this attorney right before going off record for lunch were highly inappropriate, although I can't remember what he said now 20 + years later.  All parties left and this attorney comes back in the room and says something to the effect of "Oh, you don't have to put those last comments in the record; just take them out."  The videographer said okay and I just smiled.

When the attorney left, I told the videographer that I was not taking out the comments, no way, but the videographer said that he had to edit the comments out otherwise this attorney would no longer use him.  I guess this videographer had nothing to lose since there were not/are not any licensing requirements.

That videographer is still in business, I believe still has that attorney for a client, but no way have I ever called him or his company to cover depositions.  But I love 99 percent of our videographers - including the one that Kelli is talking about.  She has been in the biz since the beginning as well, I believe, although I can't say I ever noticed the smell myself.

The best way to avoid a shoddy videographer is twofold. First, I recommend using a technician that has gone through a certification process of either NCRA, CLVS or the AGCV program. Secondly, if your firm is sending out non-certified technicians then suggest they look into who they are having represent them in the field. The technician who has obtained certification has been schooled in both the proficient use of the equipment as well as deposition room etiquette. You may find an extensive list of certified technicians at the respective websites. Unfortunately, some firms choose to send low paid and high turnover technicians for short sighted profit.

Now, that you have done your due diligence you have some recourse. If the certified technician is behaving inappropriately gently take them aside and advise them of your concern. If they continue and ignore your request then please contact the certifying agency and report the behavior. 

I am a CLVS and have been recording video depositions for 36 years.

I own a legal video business in NJ. I read through all of the comments and on behalf of the GOOD videographers out there...I apologize.  Maybe I am in the minority, but I think the reporter is the most important person in the room (other than the witness).  That is why I do everything in my power to make things easier for them.  I offer a headset so they can listen to my direct audio feed, I bring a laptop stand just in case there is no room on the table and I give them a .wav audio file immediately because I was told that that format syncs perfectly with their software.  I will try to get a caption from the attorney, make a copy and leave it on the reporter's seat as well as a card with my name.  Also, if we go off of the video record for any reason, I will ALWAYS ask the reporter if he/she is ready before I do anything. 

A good videographer should AT LEAST prep enough media (tapes, dvds, sd cards) before the dep starts. At no time should there be any unwrapping of tapes. When I used tapes, every time I received a new shipment, I would sit in my office and unpack EVERY SINGLE TAPE from its box and unwrap it.  This saved me one little step on every dep I went on.  Reading your posts really upset me and if ANY of my videographers did anything like that..OUT THEY GO!  I actually call my client, a week or so after the dep, to see if they were satisfied with the videographer, how he/she was dressed, if the set up was neat and unobtrusive, and if they acted professional the entire day.  I also require my guys to get the reporters card because I also contact them to see about their experience.  To me, that's just good business.

Well...I have said enough.  I just hope that you all realize that there ARE quality, caring videographers out there.  

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service