Post your questions on whether to hyphenate here. I know we should always check the dictionary first, but the dictionary doesn't have all combinations of compound words and crazy things like that.

Views: 6139

Replies to This Discussion

Part-time/full-time
isn't one of these ALWAYS hyphenated and the other not? I can never seem to remember....
Rho
Hyphenate them both. There are very very few times that they are used as nouns. There's a long discussion on CRF about it.
Will do. thanks.
pat-frisked??
Looks good to me!
Thanks, Brenda!
"Face-to-face" and "one-to-one" should always be hyphenated, right? Here's Merriam-Webster's definitions:

Main Entry: face–to–face
Function: adverb or adjective
1 : within each other's sight or presence (met and talked face–to–face) (a face–to–face consultation
2 : in or into direct contact or confrontation (came face–to–face with the problem)

Main Entry: one–to–one
Pronunciation: \ˌwən-tə-ˈwən, -də-\
Function: adjective
1 : pairing each element of a set uniquely with an element of another set
2 : one-on-one
Hoping I can get some feedback on this one. If the attorney actually says "Point 01" or "Point 10" how do you puntuate that? Is it .01 or Point 01. It looks weird either way. Yep, this is in regards to levels of intoxication. Hope you can help. Thanks.
We do .01 or .10
That's what I ended up doing. I just thought it looked weird. Thanks for your help.
How would you punctuate this one?

"Okay. We're back from our one-minute five-minute break."

This refers to a proposed five-minute break that turned into a one-minute break!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service