I haven't a clue where to even begin to learn about how to do auto indexing. I haven't even viewed the visualizer on it, though I'm sure there is one.

It seems like such a huge, daunting task. Any words of wisdom on how to ease my way into it?

Views: 367

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it takes a bit of time

That's the main argument against learning auto indexing. However, when you consider how much time over a single year -- a single MONTH -- is spent in typing out indexes, then figure out all the time wasted over the years, the learning time kind of pales in comparison. :)
Thanks for bringing this back up. I never did get very far with indexing because I got swamped with scopinIng work, which is a good thing. : ) I need to take some time to get this nailed down because it would be a great asset to have for the future!! I am tired of having to fill in the pages myself!
Marla,
I have one voucher left from Eclipse, and I will absolutely use it for the auto indexing. I do a lot of student and teacher tenure hearings, and the indexes are a nightmare. I had to mark 25 Exhibits, and also have to put in another index for the students names, since you can only use their initials in the transcript. There were 25 students!! That took up most of my time editing. My Eclipse trainer told me to give her a good two hours, but once you learn it, there is no going back. One of my fellow reporters swears by it. I am going to set up an appointment with her. I will let you know how I make out.

Susan
Can anyone help me where I'm going wrong with my "FURTHER EXAMINATION"s? They alignment is obviously off. I can't get them to show up on the same line. Here's how it looks (notice the , 35 before the second MS. BLYSTONE):

EXAMINATION PAGE

BY MS. BLYSTONE 4

BY MR. WIN 33

, 35 BY MS. BLYSTONE

And here's how I want it to look:

EXAMINATION PAGE

BY MS. BLYSTONE 4, 35

BY MR. WIN 33

This is what my first examination for Blystone looks like:
In: WITNESS HEADER||+WITNESS PARA|BY MS. BLYSTONE|{TR:1}{P}

And this is the further examination:
In: WITNESS HEADER||+WITNESS PARA|BY MS. BLYSTONE|, {P}

Where am I going wrong?!?
Marla, I can see why it's doing what it's doing. Not sure quite how to do what you want it to do. I use separate lines for those.

I think, however, you're going to want to use the same TR: command and in the Alt-A field put in a comma in the Separated by field. Right now, you aren't telling it to insert at a tab stop, so it's putting it in at the beginning.

I'm not totally sure of this, and I didn't see anything readily in the visualizers. I need to comb through the acutal manual, but you can try this and see if it works.e
Well, never mind! When I learned this, it was on V8 -- the DOS version -- and I have had my index set up for a long time. Used to be different. I see the , {P} format in the manual. I don't know what to tell you. I'd call support.
Brenda,

Just read all this and downloaded your files. I am going to do the visualizer because I have no idea what to do now. Thanks so much!!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service