I was just curious how many of you get massage therapy regularly?  My neck and shoulders are killing me.  I go every once in a while, but I think I may need to do it more regularly. 

Boy, this job is tough on the body, that's for sure!!

Views: 449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There was a time, when I was working consistently in court, that my body would SCREAM at me if I did not use my gym's jacuzzi and steam room weekly, and more often when possible. Massages are expensive, so I would have them a few times a year. For some people, the stroking and kneading of muscles hurts them - after the massage is over. I still got the massage, though. The high-powered water jets and the hot water definitely helped. Could not have performed my job without them.

Bummer, I don't have a jacuzzi.  Good excuse to get one, though!!  Don't know that I can pull that one off; my husband thinks I spend too much money as it is.

I would LOVE to have a strong jacuzzi bathtub!
How about a backyard hot tub for the warm-weather months?
Or, even, soaks in a regular tub, all the way up to the base of the head, are great, too.
Epsom salts.

I have jets in my bathtub but they're not very strong.  I've been talking about a hot tub in the backyard for a long time now.  What do they go for?  $5,000 or something?  Wonder if that's a write-off since it's because of my job.  Something tells me NOT!!

I have had lots of massages.  I still have shoulder/neck issues.  I really think what I need to do is stretching exercises, like yoga.  We had a jacuzzi, it really didn't help me.

Gotta go, I think opposing counsel is finally here... 1 hour and 22 minutes LATE!!!  ugh.

When I am writing a lot of pages I have to go.  I have a muscle that "knots" up in my back.  If I let it go too far I can have numbness in my fingers on my right hand.

I guess that sort of shows how important massage really is for us.  My wrist has really been bothering me lately, along with my left shoulder.  Time to make an appointment I think.

I went to massage therapy for my upper back and neck while going to a chiropractor and physical therapy a couple of years ago.  I think the massage therapy was more effective than the chiropractor.  I haven't been since, but I'd love to go again.  I just haven't made the time to do it.  I still have knots in my shouder blade area, but they're not as bad as they were before. 

I was at my worst when working on the 9/11 case, which went on for two years or so.  It was a stressful case to work on; fast paced, multiple parties objecting, contentious, plus the serious nature of the case.  My whole body reacted and tightened up to the point I had to get treatment for it.  I try really hard now to relax my body even when the pace is fast and things start getting out of control.  Not easy to do, though.

I just quit going to my chiropractor after two years of going to him.  My neck hurts worse now that I've gone to him than it ever did before.  I decided I need a change.  The soonest I can get in for a massage is Saturday.  Better late than never, I suppose.  

I hope she's good and not one of these fluffy massages like Massage Envy.  I need some serious deep tissue work.

Janet, I don't know how you can relax; on some of these jobs when everyone is hanging on their RT screen and the objections are coming fast and furious, it's so hard to relax.  Haven't been able to master that yet I'm afraid.

I've gotten massage and chiropractic regularly for years.  More chiro than massage, though.
But I've got a couple of "great" chiropractors.  Upper neck and shoulder stuff for me is due to 

C7-T1 and the first ribs being pulled out of alignment from tight muscles.  Massage helps that, but

won't last me as long as a chiro adjustment if those things are out of alignment.  And finding

a great chiro that can adjust that upper thoracic area is not easy.

Kelli,

Don't let them go too deep on a deep tissue massage.  I always thought there was no such thing as too deep.  Until it happens.  Ouch.  I had a guy physically bruise my upper arms and I was in pain for at least a week in my back.

Kelli, two things that, as the voice of experience, I feel are necessary for hard-working, heavy-hitting reporters especially:  A housekeeper, and regular massage.  You mentioned fluffy massages at like Massage Envy -- pfffffft!  No, I don't want to be treated gently and, oh, let's cover you all up and work on your lower leg for a while, then gently put back ... No!  I've been beat up all day long, willingly!, so I want the deep-tissue massage and let the guy or gal manhandle me for an hour.  Yes, it's intense, but good LORD do I feel better and absolutely no pain from the self-imposed flogging we subject ourselves to regularly by lawyers.  Now ... to find a brain massage!

M.A.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service