Hi,

Does anyone have any references for any scopists that work offshore?  Thank you.

Shirley

Views: 940

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just admitted you ... good luck!

It's not just DigitalCAT...  I've been running into that same issue.  Good luck!

It's just so frustrating.  I pay them to listen the audio word for word, and yet they don't do it.  They swear up and down they listen to it, but they don't. 

I just fired another one today that I've worked with for years.  I warned her a few weeks ago, and she got better for a bit, but then sent me another file today that she obviously hadn't listened to. 

I don't get it.  All they have to do is sit at their computer and edit.  They don't have to get dressed up or sit on the freeway for hours or set up and break down equipment every day.  They work when they feel like it and make good money.  I pay well and pay on time, but it doesn't seem to matter.  They have a limited shelf life.

I have found that even with the best that I have worked with, they don't catch it all.  I could never not scope after a scopist--I tend to consider what they do as cleanup work.  That being said, the most appropriate time for me to use a scopist is on the worst jobs.  That's when it's really worth the money.

I would LOVE perfection, but of course none of us are.  I would never send out a job scoped by someone without proofing it first.  But if I need to actually re-scope after someone, then that is a total waste of time, in my opinion, and I should just scope it myself.  

Wish I could help you out, Shirley, but unfortunately, Stenovations -- well.  One guy there -- doesn't want me as a customer ... so no scoping work.

Interestingly, Michael Jackson told me that a lot of their new customers read about digitalCAT on my website ...

I used to, and worked from overseas for about 20 years.  I'm probably leaving the country soon too, but no solid plans yet.  Best of luck, Carm

I'm a reporter, semi-retired, and I scope and transcribe for supplemental income.  When I scope, I always do audio, because as reporters, we miss stuff, too.  for me it's the little words, "the" "and" etc.  But here's one for the record books.  I was reporting a rough draft at the end of the day, with the final delivered by about 10 p.m.  It was an international case, and I was in Oulo, Finland.  The job was Apple v Nokia, and I had to have the best scopists.  I got this wahoo gal in Arizona who was a graduate engineer who now scopes.  I stressed how important it was that she be on top of me all the time.  She had really worked hard to convince me that she could handle these 200 plus pages every day, so I decided I would go with her (on two court reporters' recommendations) and disband with my four-scopists plan, which was one doing the early take who lived in Paris, one who did midmorning to noon who was in New Jersey, lunch to mid-afternoon was in Tennessee (and my lead scopist) and then the final was my absolute best scopist of all time, and she was in California.  Tennessee put them together, ran a final spell check and I would get early enough to proof it all and get it out before 10 p.m.  

I was concerned about this gal right off, because she was really folksy on skype (no problem with that) but I was asking, do you have the job?  are you getting the job?  And she said things like "don't worry your pretty little head" while screaming in the background was these kids going, Mom, we're late for school.  (flags going up.)  (if you're late with the kids, are you going to be on time with me?  Engineer or not...)  So I called at another break, and I said did you get the job.  You could hear the OBVIOUS traffic around her, and I said, did you get the job?  Yes.  Are you working on it?  She says, I'm working on it as we speak.  I said then why do I hear traffic?  Alarm bells, right?  She sort of chided me and said, you just don't trust how fast and how good I am yet, but you will.  Great answer.  My recess is over, and I go in again.  

She assures me she's working alike a dream at the next skype call.  I settle into my last take.  At dinner I said send me what you have so I can get to work on it.  She says she can't really upload it yet, she wants to clean it up a little,  It was a very hard case, so I could buy that.  When can I have it?  

Well, much longer story shorter, she kept saying go to bed, get some sleep, I'll skype you when it's done.  I reluctantly go to bed, having had to call the agency to tell them there was a technical glitch.  We had a single saving grace; the next day was a half day off, so we could get it out a little later.  what I didn't understand was that depos were taking place all over the world every day, and they were using the day before's work for their experts.  (These were all experts, by the way.)  

Next morning -- as I was so exhausted, I had slept fitfully through the night -- I had the e-mail from living hell.  Your work is too hard, it's not my type of engineering ... here's your job back, and a bill for the 30 pages I did.  I called the two reporters who recommended her (happened to be my own kids) and they called her to see what was up.  She made excuses, said I was too demanding, said I couldn't write my way out of a paper bag, etc.  (They both stopped using her too, and they answered many tearful calls about why they were unhappy.  I think she didn't know we were related.)  As soon as I got the e-mail I skyped Tenneesee, she organized the team and they punched it all out in about four hours. 

Boyoboyoboy, did I ever learn a valuable lesson.  I paid that @#$%^&*( but never used her again.  That was my scariest moment with a scopist.  I ALWAYS proof after my scopists, and I always ask my reporters to proof after I scope.  We were there; we know what went down.  But when I pay for full audio and don't get it, I pay the bill and don't call again.  I will say that my one gal in Tennesee turned out a very bad job, so I called to ask what was wrong, it just wasn't her.  Her best friend had been killed that day, so ... you know, everybody has an off day.  But that other gal was just bad luck all the way through, for me anyway.  

The nice thing about scoping when I was overseas was, it was my morning when the reporter ended her day, and she could wake up the next day to a finished job.  

I'mhappy to be in  your group.  You were recommended to me by another member.  Carm

Carmelita,

I was on that same case for three years all over Europe.  E-mail me, divadigits@aol.com.  Would love to trade stories.  I was the lead reporter in Europe for the QUALCOMM lawyers.  I was in Oulu more than a few times.  Did you get the filet of reindeer when you were there?

Oops.  Never mind.  I just noticed you were on the Apple vs. Nokia case.  I was on the QUALCOMM vs. Nokia case and the Broadcom vs. Nokia case.  I've never known anyone who did a depo in Oulu before.  E-mail me anyway.  Would be fun to compare stories.

I am a scopist.  Can you tell me what a offshore scopist definition is?

RSS

© 2019   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service