I've been wanting to get a discussion started on the small-word phrases, so it is easily accessible here -- i.e., not buried on page 30, etc., in the Comment Wall -- and in referencing the Magnum Steno book.

HAPPY MINING!!!!

Tami

MARK SAID:

I sent Christine and Megan a list of small-word phrases culled from just the first few minutes of my job the other day. Small-word phrases are a GOLD MINE that 99% of court reporters do not prospect:

I have a A*EUF
for you TPOU
if you TPU
on the OT
and if SKPEUF
to come TOPBLG (-J is "come" in phrases)
that the THAT
to the TOT
is this STH-
is a SA
is the S-T
as the S*T
we are WER
do they TKAOTD (-TD is "they" in phrases)
so much SOFP
to have TO*F
I want to TOEUPT
at the TE
last night HRA*PBSZ
and it's SKPEUTS
pretty much PREFP
that I THAEU
with them W-FPL (-FPL is "them" in phrases)
we have to be TWO*EFB (simply a purposeful stack)
in order TPHORD
in order to TPHORTD
they had THED
to do TOD
and they SKP-TD
they had to THOED
sort of SOFRT
who had WHOD
off the OFT
but the PWUTD
was to TO*FS
as far STPAR
they have TH*EF
they think TH*EPBG
and yet SKPWRET
with us WUS
we shouldn't W*ERBD

Views: 389

Replies to This Discussion

So glad to have you here, Debbie!!

Thanks for joining the group!

If you'd intermingle in a few African stories here, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love it. :)
I haven't even tried them out yet, Virginia. I'm not sure if they'd work.

I use -KD for "could" in phrases, and I know at times I throw in the asterisk for a conflict.

The one that comes to mind is the bad word F*****, which is actually quite common in criminal court -- and "if you could."

I don't have Mark's dictionary. I never loaded it behind mine, which is silly. Hopefully somebody else will chime in with some help.

They both would be awesome right-side phrases to have.
For the f-bomb, FUK if you can F*UK if you can't FUKD if you could F*UKD if you couldn't FO*IK our friend the f-bomb. After a long period of inadvertently writing swear words because of unexpected misstrokes (c*nt/count, sh*t/shift), I figure if I really really want that word, I have to want to write it, too!
Just my two cents :D
Good point, Erik. And what a great idea to use the asterisk for the negative. D'oh!
I am delighted, Monica!!

I use -RB for "she," but I don't have a "we."

I use -TD for "they" and *TD for "the defendant." So after you get "they" down solid, you can move towards "the defendant."

It's so nice in court.

How about the right side "went" and "need," Monica??

Those are my favorite gems I picked up at my first MK bootcamp.

-FRB is need
-FRG is went

Mark taught it like this:

The -B is needy. It needs to be close to the -FR

-G went away.

Erik, great suggestion on making F*** a totally different stroke. I asterisk it, FU*KD. I always remember it with the asterisk, BUT when I hear "if you could," I still freak out thinking I'll hit the wrong one, so undoubtedly I will two stroke "if you could" most of the time.

FO*IK is such a great idea for it. Then FO*IRK for f***er. Then "mother f***er" could be MO*IRK, right??

You can tell I work in criminal court.
LOL, Tami!

Those are all great. :D
I guess I shouldn't be so excited about the F word, Lisa. :)

Honestly I think the first time I ever said the word was my first time reading back to a jury that had the terminology in the case.

Since I was an Official at 20 years old -- so young, dumb, and naive -- I'm sure I probably was three shades of red. Come to think of it, I still probably blush when I have to read back to juries some of the whacked-out stuff I hear/report.
I just can't imagine YOU EVER blushing!!!! ; D

That I would love to see!
LOL! Tami seems pretty tough. I would be interested to see that too. :P
You guys must have read the mouse post! :)

Or, then again, maybe it was the story I told on Jenny's page about driving myself to the hospital almost an hour away to give birth to number five. HA!

Truly, I really am a frail, gentle, kind, loving, caring, girl . . .

(I'm sure there's at least one person out there that believes that!) :D)

I've sure been thinking about you, Alexis. I know you're right there, and I'm sure you can feel me ahopin' and aprayin' for you!!
I hadn't thought of FO*IRK and MO*IRK but heck, why not :D While we're on this fascinating subject, SHO*EL @sshole, SO*FB son of a b*tch (SO*B is a misstroke for southbound lol).

What kinds of phrases do you use *TD in? I'm intrigued. Is there something similar for "the plaintiff"?

And I think Mark uses (I do too) -FRBLG for "-we". Kind of a U shape.
They don't really ever use "the plaintiff" at my courthouse, but they use "the People." We're pretty much a 100% criminal courthouse.

I use T*P for "the People"

for the People FAOEPL

on behalf of the People BAO*EPL

As far as "the defendant," I used to write it T*D -- way before I started writing the MK way. So I tell Clay about it when he was in school, and he loved it but crunched it to the right side to make it shorter -- because that's just what he does. :) -- and usable in phrases.

Did the defendant
What the defendant
Could the defendant
Had the defendant
And when the defendant

Lots more . . .

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service