Generally, when an attorney dictates commas, periods, etc., I like to simply put the punctuation in place of the word. It doesn't change the meaning in any way and improves the readability of the transcript.

Recently, an attorney dictated the word "semicolon" from some text he was reading into the record. Now that I'm transcribing, that semicolon is really in such an odd place. I don't think any reporter would use a semicolon at that particular spot. I'm leaning towards writing it out.

What would you do? And thanks!

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Absoutley write it. If it is said as a word, you write the word, period. :)
Wendy, you said, "If it is said as a word, you write the word, period." People say "dollars" and "cents" and "at" in email addresses and other things for which we use symbols, not words. If the semicolon was said as a symbol, not like, "You used a semicolon in this sentence," why would you treat it any differently? We do reflect things as symbols in our transcripts.
I agree with you, Brenda. It is the same thing with Mr., Dr., and Mrs. We say the word but write the abbreviation. ;-)
I hear what you ladies are saying about other symbols and abbreviations, but I do believe they are in a different category than what's being discussed here. And I was taught that when an attorney says "period" or "comma" or whatever, you write it, as distinguished from the court reporter's own punctuating of the transcript. Just my 2 cents. At the end of the day, everyone is still going to do it their own way anyway. Oh, and I meant to write "absolutely." Oops!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service