I read another reporter's transcript the other day, and I noticed when the attorney is quoting from an exhibit, she didn't put in any quotes at all. 

I think it's sloppy not to use quotes when something is read into the record.   Also, I put quoted material in a parenthetical set off.  I think it looks nice.  Here is an example:

Q      I don't expect you to remember what was said, but below that it says:
                         "The parent's obligation to provide

funding for the surviving corporation

including, without limitation, funding to

pursue the achievement of the milestones

shall be at parent's sole discretion to be

exercised in good faith."

Do you have an independent understanding of what that means?

What do you all do?

Views: 794

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kelli, I do exactly what you do except I also indent the beginning of the quote five spaces to indicate a new paagraph.  In a long quote I put open quotes at the beginning of all new paragraphs and end quote at the end of the full quote.  This is very readable and I believe it is proper form. 

I totally agree.  I do that too.  I don't indent it, or I should say one of my scopists does and one doesn't.   Glad to hear it - I think it is proper form.

Nope, don't use quotes.  I use the following:

READING FROM DOCUMENT:

blah, blah, blah.

If they don't read it properly it covers my arse.  Learned this years ago from a seasoned reporter and it made total sense to me.

:)

Happy Tuesday, Kelli!!!!

When they don't quote exactly I put (as read).  If they do quote, I put the quotes.

I almost never use quotes anymore, nor do lots of my reporter friends.  They don't read the document accurately half the time........so I set things off with a colon.

Janiece, can you give an example as to how you use the "as read" when they don't quote it exactly?  Where do you place the "as read"?  Is it at the start of the material being read or at the end?  And is it in quotes or parentheses or what?  I think I would prefer this way.

Hi, Jannette,

Sure, I can give you an example.

Q.   Please read the email to me.

A.   Our boss is a jerk.  I can't stand work him (as read).

Let's say the real email said "I can't stand working for him."  I would do something along those lines.  

If they really drift from the document, I don't put anything b/c it is a paraphrase.  If they are close, I put "as read" in parens.

Thanks, Janiece.  I like that.  Never thought to add something like that.  I always use colons if it's not read verbatim.

I rarely use quotes.  I like the style of using a colon.  I'm on Eclipse, and if you check, you'll see that they allow for different formats so it's very easy to set off quotes like Kelli does.  But, shocker, I don't care for that style.  To be consistent, you'd have to do it every time, and some quotes are very short, allowing for a very short line.  I totally understand "style," but it looks like padding to me and I wouldn't do it.  I know about that style, have considered it at one point, but decided against it.  I wouldn't use "reading from document" either because many times they appear to be reading from the document but they're just paraphrasing.  To be safe, I rarely use quotes.

M.A.

I have to follow my reporters' preferences.  If I had my druthers, I'd use a colon to set off short text quotes, no "", with a new paragraph as soon as the quoted part ends. 

Long text quotes I would left-indent to Column 10, with new paragraphs of the quote starting at Column 15.  When the quoted material ends, a new paragraph begins at the usual Q or A margin. 

Many of my reporters want no special treatment for oral supposed quotes -- no nish-cap, no "", just a comma.  I start a new paragraph as soon as it's over.

Some experts in our field say we need to use quotes whether it's an accurate recitation or not because the speaker is presenting it as a quote. 

Sorry, I just think that is lazy and the reporter just wants to spit out their transcript.

Mary Ann, you were the reporter I was talking about that I saw your transcript.  I must say I was a little surprised.  If the quote is less than eight words, I don't set it off but still use quotes; I just think it is the right thing to do. 

Don't know how your transcript all the way from Washington ended up in front of me, BTW!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service