I'm confused. The reporter I'm working with says it's not a problem, she's got the LiveNote and the cables, and as long as my machine is writing and my CC is translating, their LiveNote will get the transcript. But in trying to figure out how to do this, I found a link that says it doesn't work with CC.

Anyone have any experience with this please?????

Views: 547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure where you found a link that it doesn't work with CC or what you mean. I've been using it with CC since LiveNote first came out. You have to set your translation up to send out (labeled OUTPUT in the CC setup) to counsel via CaseView. Then the receiving LiveNote is set up to receive with CaseView. It isn't a problem. It's a simple setup. Look up realtime in the manual with CC and read that. To problem solve a good hookup, you need to start each part in a specific order. Like you set up your writer, hook up your send cable, then turn on your writer, then computer. Set up your receive and send with CC, THEN have counsel turn on their computer to recognize the serial cable. No serial ports? That's another aspect with the wireless or serial port converter. It's do-able, easy.
Okay, now I'm understanding that the problem is that I don't have Stenograph's own cables, that I'd be using another reporter's (Eclipse) cables.

Does that sound like reality (that it won't work with a different program's cables) or am I misinformed?
No, you are not misinformed. You do need Stenograph's RT cables. Eclipse cords won't work with CC. However, you should have gotten those cables when you bought the program. I can't remember what came with my Mira, but I believe it ships with the cable for connection with counsel's computer. I know it comes with the cable to connect your writer to the computer -- with Mira, it's the one with purple/black serial connectors. Check your supplies that came with your writer. I'm almost positive I got the cable for hooking up with counsel. But you can order one from Stenograph if not. If you don't have a serial port on your computer, you would need a serial adapter, too. I use the wireless connection from my writer to the computer and then Stenocast's wireless for connection to the attorneys -- reason why I can't remember. If you're not sure which one to purchase, call Stenograph/Sales, and they can tell you. You need a specific cable for CC, the flat cord.
Sigh.

Thanks. That's bad news for me. My last Stenograph writer died a long time ago and I've been using a nonStenograph writer since ... I don't think when I bought that Stentura LX (when it was the new great machine IYKWIM) that it came with any cables. Nor my Case Catalyst.

Sigh again.
Well, why don't you just go wireless? That would solve it all. Depends on what connections your writer has. You can talk to Stenocast about their wireless, or there is a wireless you could order thru Stenograph. Have you been hooking up your machine to the CC computer? It sounds like you have not. You could ask your writer people what kind of cable you need, or post here and see what others have. NOT an impossible situation. Just a work-around. The cables would/should come with your writer.
Huh. Interesting.

When I write realtime to my CC computer it's wireless. Am using a Gemini. So you're saying I could send my CC-to-CaseView feed to their LiveNote wirelessly?

I don't think I got cables with my writer. But these missing cables aren't for the writer-to-computer connection, anyway, since that's wireless. These are for the CC computer to the LiveNote computers.
Yes, you could. Check out the prices for Stenocast versus getting the cable from Stenograph...the cable obviously is cheaper. Do a Google search to find Stenocast and you can check their prices and also check out Stenograph. I think you can still see their prices even if you don't have an account there. Stenograph has a wireless unit, too, but I don't like it as well.

On a second thought, I don't know what kind of cables Eclipse has for RT'ing computer to computer. You could try a trial run to see if it works. At any rate, you need a trial run anyway just to see how it works.
I say go with the wireless. I never used the cables becuase it was just too confusing......I use the Stenocast and I love it. Go on their website and check them out. I think their site is www.stenocast.com or call them. They are very nice and will answer all your questions.

If you decide to get it, they have a serial adapter that's wireless...get those. No drivers to install in the attorney's computer and it's like the realtime cables, but without the cables. If you know what I mean.

Good luck and call them.
I am confused by the talk of Eclipse cables and CC cables. Cables are cables. You can buy them anywhere. You just make sure you have the correct type of cable.

For realtime, the setup is writer connected to your laptop w/your software (connected wirelessly or with cables). Then for the attorney to get realtime, they need to be getting a realtime feed from your laptop to their laptop whether it be via cable or wireless.

So theoretically there are two areas you need cables. From your writer to your laptop and from your laptop to the attorney. The cables from your laptop to the attorney can be purchased at the Steno Doctor or Stenograph.

Most of the time, I think the cables for your writer to your laptop come with your writer. The problem is that in the old days, it was a serial to serial (RS-232) connection. And laptops no longer come w/the serial port, so you have to buy an adapter, either USB or PCMCIA card.

I hope this makes sense. And if this does not help, sorry to muddy the waters.
No...everything you recited IS correct. However, CC is not like all other programs in that to make a connection it has to have a certain cable. It has a specific technical name, and frankly, I've forgotten what it's called. You CANNOT use just any cable from any other program. I won't work. That's Stenograph. It is a flat (or semi flat) cable, while the others are round. Outside of that, everything you said is correct. That's why I suggested the young lady call Stenograph and request a cable from them...asking the type of cable or go wireless.
Ah, I didn't realize that. Very interesting.

So you need this specific cable for the connection between the writer and your laptop and the same type of cable for the connection between your laptop and the attorney's laptop?
Yeah, it's all been cleared up for me.

There are apparently two kinds of cables ... "straight" and "crossover." All of the other programs use one kind, and
Case Catalyst uses the other.

Stenograph being contrary, I guess (and also ensuring another revenue stream /rollingeyes).

My writer is a Gemini and it's wireless, I don't use a cable at all for realtime between it and my laptop.

I ordered the cables. Sigh.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service