I am curious. How many of students are buying their stenograph machines and how many are renting or leasing? I am trying to decide myself which is the best and most economical. And also what brand and model do you use?

Views: 261

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kim.

I purchased a Stentura 8000 through school (financial aid) in 2005, it was stolen in 2007. I had two payments left and no insurance. Ouch!!! So I am out of $5000. Stenograph discontinued the Stentura 8000, so I am now leasing a Stentura Protege (student writer). It works fine. When I finish school and start working I will purchase the Fusion (paper or paperless) or Mira (paperless). I'm kinda afraid of the Mira, though.

If you are in school, you can go with the leasing option it is most economical. They cost about $1,600 and you get a $1,000 upgrade voucher within 3 years towards the purcahse of a professional writer. Make sure you get insurance. :) Good luck Swan
Swan --

Wow, that's a tough break, losing your machine like that ...! How did that happen, anyway?

That said, two things:

1. I'm not a big fan of the Stentura 8000s, because of the high-failure floppy drive. I recommend getting a refurbished ProCAT Flash instead.

2. If you have car insurance, you might check to see if the company offers renter's insurance -- and ensure that it covers any of the items you take out of the house. This way, should bad luck strike twice, you'll at least be able to get reimbursed for your loss.

Good luck in your search!

--gdw
----------------------------------------
"For a Good (steno) Time ...."
http://www.cheapandsleazly.net
I have a machine for sale and some other stuff.

Check it out in the classifieds.

I loved my machine -- I just hated school.
Hi.

I personally bought my machine, I have a Stentura protege student version. My CRID didn't tell me anything about being able to lease a writer. I wish I would have known cos I would have bought a professional model. The way I figure it, if I am working towards getting my degree in Court Reporting, why get a student version of the software and the writer when all I am going to be doing is loosing money by having to rebuy what I need for the profession I want?
Yvette --

Exactly ...!

That's pretty much why my website (cheapandsleazy.net) exists: To let students know there are other options available than what their school tells them ... so if you're still deciding, check out my article, "The Good Stuff." It covers writers, CAT software and laptops.

A few years back, my (now closed) school recommended the Stentura 400 SRT (the lab had a couple, but had more 200 SRTs -- ugh!!)), which I didn't like much -- yet they had an ad on the wall (most likely from a ProCAT Rep visit sometime back) for a ProCAT Flash: $99/month.

Didn't want to pay the $99/month, so I bought a refurbished one, as mentioned above.

For software, I just didn't like the way Case worked (I'll spare you the details) ... not to mention that the and the cost for the student version was a bit much ... so after a bit of research, I ended up with digitalCAT: $35, and a fax every few months.

You might want to talk with ... who is it ... Marsh? Martin? Well ... whoever it was, they basically allow you to lease your equipment. Be careful here, though: The economy is not doing well these days, and you don't want to be in a position to have your writer repossessed!

Check your JCR and talk to them about trading in your Protege for, say, a Fusion (your school does still want to see your notes, right?). If you can get them to allow you to buy a refurbished writer, so much the better ... but don't forget Stenograph's $1000 buy-back" offer ... if you can get a refurb from them and use that $1000 credit, that's great!

Good luck to you ....

--gdw
---------------------------------
http://www.cheapandsleazy.net
I was renting a Stentura 200 from school, but they only let you keep it until the end of theory and then they need it for new students. I turned mine in and bought a used one from a guy in Washington state. Another student in my class bought one and she was very happy so a number of us (13 in total) bought machines from him. Mines works fine, but I find that I concentrate too much on getting my letters/numbers to come out. Book work has to be perfect. Anyway, I want to buy a newer machine but I want one that will carry me through for a while. Does anyone recomment a paticular one? I plan on going into CART or Captioning so I want to be able to transition.

Thanks
I'm suggesting a most economical approach:

For theory students at our school (WVC, Saratoga, CA), it isn't necessary to buy a machine, because they can borrow a manual machine with a $100 deposit, and get $75 back upon return of the machine at the end of theory.

For speed building students, the most economical way to start is to buy a used Stentura 400 SRT ($700-$900). I got mine through a recommendation from our teacher, who saw one posted on Craigslist... by a seller in our area. It has worked fine for three years, and I'm at 180 now.

I don't see a reason to buy a machine that costs a student more than $1000, until there is a hope in sight the machine will make money. A couple of students who started out in theory with me have since dropped out and are trying to sell their Proteges...
I'm buying a previously owned Stentura 8000LX this week. I hope I've made the right decision!
Hi, Sinéad.

Did you read The Good Stuff?

--gdw
-------------------------
Hi Glen, I certainly did! I purchased the machine from a colleague who had bought it brand new. She is very careful of her equipment and I checked the memory - and hit the 'Jackpot'. The serial number is also over 8019936. I'm glad I went straight for the 8000LX now.

Love the website!
Sinéad --

Excellent! Hope all goes well. Ensure you keep up a maintenance schedule (clean and lube) with your local steno ninja, though; no sense letting that well-maintained machine become less well-maintained! :o)

--gdw
-------------------------
"For a Good (steno) Time ....."
I'm going online and I bought my machine. I think it's cheaper in the long run and when you finish school ,you can trade it in for a professional writer to work with. I have the elan cybra paperless writer.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service