Specific question regardin scoping in Eclipse for court reporters and scopists

I have an Eclipse scopist. Several. However, I want to be sure that they are using their time efficiently.

I know that when I look at a job, I see the conflicts at the bottom of the page. But sometimes I don't think the scopist is seeing the conflicts so that they pick conflict 1 or 2 or 3. Instead they're typing the whole word out.

Does anyone know why they can't see the conflicts? I have my realtime set up so that make editing station is clicked on in my settings.

I started sending my job dictionaries so they could see the comments in my job dictionaries. Should I also be sending them my main dictionary?

Any help would be appreciated.

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe that is called the status bar at the bottom that contains the conflict choices. Go to "window" at the top, click on "view" and choose to display the status bar.
But sometimes I don't think the scopist is seeing the conflicts so that they pick conflict 1 or 2 or 3. Instead they're typing the whole word out.

I understand what you're trying to do. You'd like the scopist to also train Eclipse to fix the correct conflict instead of just typing it in. You'd like the scopist to help fine-tune your dictionary.

Have you instructed your scopists that's what you'd like for them to do? Have they been trained to pick from the conflict list instead of just typing in text? I've said it before and I'll say it again: All scopists (and reporters!) are not created equal.

Some people are self-taught in their software and just install the program and do a runthrough of the program and say, "I'm ready. Send me your work." Others learn everything about the program that they can and can actually teach YOU how to do things.

First thing you need to do is ask each scopist if they're picking from the conflict list or are just typing in text. If they're just typing in text, ask them why. Can they not see the list? Do they think it's easier to just type it in? Have they not been taught what the conflict list is and how to choose the correct conflict?

Scopists are there to make your life easier. And, yes, that means to fine-tune your dictionary. If they can't or won't, I'd seriously think about finding a new scopist.

I had this one scopist for about a year period. She did an awesome job in completing my transcripts, but not once did she send me a file with dictionary entries. She would just type in the correct word and move on. I guess it was faster for her. Well, I wanted to fine-tune my dictionary, so I started to go through the jobs before I'd send them to her. Ended up that she got fewer and fewer jobs from me because it was just easier to do them myself. Finally my work to her totally dried up.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service