Just curious to know which states recognize voice writers? (steno mask)

Views: 478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Jennie. You're right. There is a ton of lowest-bid government taping work available. I get a little confused when you use the terms "reporter" and "reporting firms" at the same time talking about a glut of work and a shortage of reporters. I'm thinking you probably mean a shortage of tape recording operators. But there's no shortage of stenographers in Washington, DC. It seems that everyone's flocking to our nation's capital for the "good work" here. I would suggest, as I have many times before, that a promise of good work isn't good work ... and you also need to know the rates you'll be paid to determine whether or not it's considered "good." For ER, it doesn't matter, but let the reporter beware.

M.A.
Hi, Mary Ann. I am trying to still get used to this forum. I think I replied to the wrong post when I was trying to reply to you.

I did not mean to confuse you with the terms "reporter" and "reporting firms." There are several "reporting firms" in D.C. who hire stenotype, stenomask, and ER reporters.

I do not consider an ER as "tape recording operator," but I am aware that there is one school of thought that considers the ERs in not a favorable light. Interestingly, Mary Ann, most of the "recording operators" are recording digitally today and not using tapes anymore.

I see that you are from Virginia. We may know some of the same companies, but I do not do very much legal work anymore. I am into client-provided audio today, more so than "court reporting." I guess I am what could be labeled as a general transcriptionist.

I was actually hoping to network with other transcriptionists on this forum -- digital and tape transcriptionists. Am I in the right forum for this?
Jennie,

I'm not MA, but can I respond to one of your questions?

I'm sure this is an excellent forum for you to network with others, but you also might want to check out this site:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scopistssupportgroup/
They cater primarily to scopists, proofreaders, transcriptionists, etc.

Judy
Hey, thanks, Judy. I will have to go check that out. I really do enjoy networking with other like-minded folk about punctuation, spelling, format, grammar, et cetera. Love that kind of talk. :>)
Oh, you'll love that site then.
Jennie-

Here are some other Yahoo! groups I belong to which you may find interesting.

For transcription:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Transcribing/

Just for fun, Wordfun:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WordFun/?yguid=330025639

For techie questions on word processing:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WordProcessing/?yguid=330025639
Very cool sites. Thanks for sharing the links. I will definitely check them out.
Hi, Jennie. I think there may be some messages in between that I'm missing ... I've noticed that, too, when posting on CSRNation ... I just feel like I'm missing something in between messages. With only 6 degrees of separation between me and Kevin Bacon, there's no doubt we know the same folks! I use "taping" to refer to any recording method, digital or not. I'll have to stop that. I see Judy's sent you to a good site, and I'd think that the AAERT would have links to groups like that as well.

M.A.
Thanks for the referral of AAERT. I went to the very first meeting of AAERT on the East Coast several decades ago. I don't have much in common with legal transcriptionists, but I do appreciate your kind response.

I am kind of at a loss as to what you mean by missing messages and 6 degrees separation between you and Kevin Bacon.

That said, Mary Ann, I am aware of one stenotype student who had graduated from Texas; a newbie to the industry, if you will, much like Jill, the original poster on the thread. :>)

He came to D.C. full of enthusiasm, sought work from a variety of D.C. court reporting companies, wanting to gain experience and hone his skills. An owner of one court reporting company told him that he had no future in this industry.

Rather than return to Texas with his tail between his legs, he decided to make a change for the better. He continued to gain experience working for various firms in D.C. Because of his hard work and dedication, he became one of the best in the area. His phone was ringing off the hook.

Living in Virginia, he joined the Chamber of Commerce in his city, became active in the NCRA, did pro bono work, and decided to start his own company out of his home. To his credit, he always had a soft place in his heart for newbies and took them in, offering any advice and training he could.

His company eventually grew, and he had to obtain office space in Northern Virginia, to include a conference room. He has a full crew of in-house staff, scopists, and a stable of competent stenotype reporters. In essence, he is successful in the industry, and he's still going strong.

I hope Jill reads this post and realizes that dreams do come true, if you work at them hard enough. Like this gentleman, she can be whatever she wants to be, as long as she is willing to devote the time necessary to get there.
An owner of one court reporting company told him that he had no future in this industry.

In the first couple of weeks my theory teacher told me I'd never make it, advised me to quit right then and there. She accused me of cheating! Good thing I have a very odd sense of humour.
I am venturing to the AAERT national convention this weekend to see what it is all about. They are holding it here in Indy, so I figured it will never be closer. Maybe I can expand my horizons too!

This is a great story. Shows once again you never know what paths life will take you down if you are open to possibilities and hard work!

K.C., I am so envious. I would love, love, love to hear Lillian Morson speak. I hope you remember some of the key topics in her presentation. What a great opportunity!

Let me know what happens. I expect a FULL trip report upon your return! LOL

Have fun! :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service