UGH! I hate this!!! Let me tell you. Proofreading tests is one of the top things that I hate doing. Why, you ask? Well, because here's my process:

1. Transcribe test from notes
2. Use spell check
3. Read over computer screen and edit anything I can see there, maybe add in some punctuation, paragraphs, etc.
4. Print draft
5. Check paper draft against notes. I HATE THIS PART. This is the most ANNOYING, yet crucial part! Why does the most crucial part have to be the most annoying?!
6. Read paper draft again. Check for words that should be hyphenated, looked up on www.m-w.com, add in punctuation and fix paragraphing.
7. Edit transcript on the computer to reflect changes made on paper draft.
8. Look it over on the computer screen YET AGAIN
9. Run spell check AGAIN
10. PRINT FINAL DRAFT AND HOPE FOR A PASS!

Now, you're probably thinking...this girl is nuts. She actually took the time to type all this crap out in here! Psycho!!! Well, what can I say. I just passed my last 160 and attempted a 180, and without doing all of these steps, I probably wouldn't have gotten so close on the 180 (92%) and probably wouldn't have passed the 160.

So I want to find out who else hates the proofreading process. Share your misery with me, please. But let's also talk about the benefits of it. What have you found in your notes that you missed in transcription? How many words? What errors did you miss because you didn't proofread thoroughly?

Views: 29

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats on getting a 92% on the 180. At this point I can't say it don't like proofreading test however I get frustrated trying to figure out what on earth I was supposed to be writing. Sometimes it just doesn't make any sense at all. I also don't like the moment when you have to choose between two possibilities (was it in or on?). It is a 50/50 chance. I lost out the last time I was in that position. Has anyone seen a stand or something to hold the notes in an upright position while you are translating? I don't like having to be all hunched over all the time!
Dana, I 150% agree with you about the test transcription procedure. I can't count how many times I have checked my paper notes and found something clearly written that I either didn't transcribe or transcribed incorrectly. I cannot stress how important I feel it is to check your draft to your paper notes.

Also, check everything you don't know about. For example, long-distance call. I would have never thought to check to see if that was hypenated or not, but since I didn't know for sure that it was, I should look it up. I dunno, maybe it sounds like I'm rattling on.

Oh, and Shelly, about not knowing what you wrote. EVERYBODY misstrokes. It's just what we do. But after a million times of reading your notes, you learn your pattern, what you do over and over and over again. Like I know a lot of my strokes end up on the same line, like THAT YOU is THAU not THA U. You just learn how you write which is why reading your notes is so important.

And Shelley, they have paper notes stands at Stenograph.com. I don't know how much they cost, though. Hope to see everyone either today or tomorrow. :)
Yeah, Shelley - ditto on what Deidre said - you'll learn your writing style. Here's one of my examples: I seem to shadow when I write my "the." Now, not to confuse you, because I learned a different theory. My "the" is my final "t". Anyhow, I shadow the "d" on "the" more often than not, these days. So I know when I see that, that's what it is. I also have now put that in my dictionary, so when I write realtime, my software can make sense of my mistakes. :P

Yeah, I have that note stand. I don't know why I don't use it. It's not like it takes up much space. You should get one. Makes it a ton easier. I think it's less than $20. If you can't find it, let me know. I also can show you how to use it if you can't figure it out. Seems brainless, but it really did take me a few to figure the stupid thing out. :P
Thanks for the advise girls. I can imagine by my second year I will feel a bit more strongly about subject!!!
Shelley, you need to get that note stand! I don't lose my place as much when I am transcribing as I did without it. If you want to try mine out one day while you are transcribing one of your tests then you are more than welcome to. That way you can see if you like it or not!
Thanks for letting me try your stand in class today - I will be buying one soon!
Oh you are welcome. You can use it anytime you need it.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service