Hello, If there is any Court Reporter working within Albany County, either doing depositions or court, and you have time to answer a few questions in regards to requirements for work there, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Shannon

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shannon
I'm not in Albany, but reside in Poughkeepsie (Dutchess County) and work in New City (Rockland County) as an official in Family Court. I can tell you that the only requirement in NYS to be an official is to take (and pass, of course) the state exam. I don't know about state-wide, but there will be an opening some time this coming September when I retire. However, the way I understand it, NYS is not hiring reporters for the lower courts (Family Court, Surrogate Court, Court of Claims) unless the district powers-that-be want a live reporter. Unfortunately, the trend for the last 10 years or so has been to use electronic recordings. That being said (THABD) they are still listing the Court Reporter ! exam periodically, as well as the Court Reporter II exam (CR II is Supreme Court).

If you have specific questions I'll try to answer them. You can contact me at philrpr@optonline.net or stillreporting@gmail.com. I would also suggest that you jump over to NYSCRA.org and go through their files and old postings since I know that they have listed the exams in the past.

Good luck [GLUK)
Wow! Thank you so much for your reply. I have checked out NYSCRA though I will now go and do a more in-depth search.
So to be an official I have to take and pass NYS exam, now would that be for example, the NCRA test?
A friend has told me that to be an offical in NYS I have to pass a 200, 190, and a 180 with certification from a certified school. Is that true?
Once again, thank you for your response it is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Shannon Hostash
Shannon
The NYS exam has nothing to do with NCRA's. To be honest, I don't remember what the NYS exam consists of, other than either 2-voice Q&A or 4-voice Q&A and a jury charge. The NYS exam also has nothing to do with the CSR exam that NYS offers. NYS is NOT a CSR-mandatory state. It's recommended to have your NYS CSR but not required. Most reporters do, I don't. As for the speeds of the exam, what your friend told you sounds right, but I won't/can't swear to the accuracy. I took the exam about 35 years ago (or so) and thing may have changed. Again, check the nyscra.org website. I know that within the last month or so they posted an exam notice.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service