I just created for Grand Jury a define that will take the name from the title page of the Defendant and place that name anywhere within the transcript.

So, I hear

Q. The Defendant, [!GJ DEFENDANT], date of birthday September 8th, 2007, was guilty.

Instead of trying to come up with a brief "on the fly" for that Dang Defendant's name, I now just stroke "DEFT/DEFT" and have that defined with the same field I'm using in the title page! So now it is the "same" stroke for any Defendant's name! Easy to remember! Seems like I was creating a different brief "on the fly" for the names, so ended up having to job define all of those different briefs. This way, you don't have to do that anymore!

Rho

Views: 33

Replies to This Discussion

Rhoda - this is a terrific tip! And you are so generous to share your tips with us! Thanks!
You are welcome. I am about to post another Field hint I learned!!
Rho
Hey Rhoda, that's a great suggestion especially if you do grand jury work.

As an official CR, I have an autoinclude that has fields in it for when the court clerk calls the case. It looks like this. As they're calling the case, I hit ROIS/ROIS and that brings in the incude file. The fields are already filled in and you're ready to go.

COURTROOM DEPUTY: Calling [!PROCEEDING TYPE] in Docket No. [!DOCKET NUMBER], ^ United States of America ^ [!PLAINTIFF NAME] against
[!DEFENDANT NAME].
Counsel, please note your appearances for the record.

Truth be told, my friend Vicky came up with this and I really liked it. For years, I've always written what the clerk says, but as time goes on I'm looking to work smarter, not harder and this is just one time saver that I'm incorporating.
That is great! I have others for Parole Boards that I do too. Fields are so useful!
Anthony - that's a great trick and I'll be sure to put it in my defines. But I had to laugh because we are in such a backwater - I swear, our courtrooms are like Runaway Jury - I'm in New Mexico and I am the judge's clerk and I don't call the cases - HE does! If you haven't watched that movie, I swear, it's just like that - so I will tuck it away in case I ever get to the real world! (Judge actually calls them a little differently, but I like the define). Thanks!
Rhoda, have you seen the enhancements to the fields in CC 10? Follow the link I posted.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service