Hey there friends, so I want to raise the discussion of target dates...I have been a court reporting student for almost one year and I am just about to pass into 100's (and my 100's practice tapes are coming along just fine, so I know i will be out with a little practice), however, my teacher expects everyone in my group to be out of 120s in march 2008, so we have basically been given a year and a month from starting theory (and for me knowing absolutely nothing about court reporting) to get into 120s, or we would be charged an "extension fee" of $50 a month until we passed. For some people that might be fine, but for others it isn't, I was told when I signed on I would be able to work at "my own pace" due to the fact that I also work to support myself, almost 100wpm in almost a year is not bad to me, and I am confident that If i was just given the space to work at my own pace I will be out in no time, but the pressure can be quite distracting, now maybe it's good to get into the habit of being under pressure, but not as a student. I may also have less of a complaint if the instruction/dictation we were receiving was any good, but oft times the dictation is interrupted by noisy students, or our tests that are dictated are off time. I am a good student and I want so badly to succeed, but is it fair for me to be cut or penalized simply because I am not as fast as my teacher wants me to be if she said before it was a self-paced class? I would like your input, anyone that could help I would appreciate it!

Views: 20

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Preston...I agree, I don't thing target dates are fair, but on the other hand, I can see why schools have to have them, especially for their accredidation status. I do not agree at all with your school's "fee" if you go over the target date, that seems terrible! Getting through court reporting school is expensive enough, not to mention all the other stress that is involed with it, the last thing we need is to have to worry about paying even more money and running out of time...sorry that is happening to you! Good luck getting into those 120s, I think you can do it.
I agree that it doesn't sound very fair, but also that I can see their thought that if they charge you, maybe you'll work harder to get to your 120s. I've seen some students in their 100s for two years, so I can see that your school doesn't want that happening to them. That fee does sound like a lot, though. And I totally agree that us students do tend to move at our own pace. That's probably your school's way of making sure their students don't slack off too much, though, which I've also seen a lot of. Seems like a real toss up to me. You're doing good though, and I'm sure you'll make it there with no problem.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service