The Challenge has been issued - Come on, Reporters, Part II

Reporters and Reporters-to-be:

The challenge has been laid down by Adam Miller that he is pledging to get additional certifications after his name.

I take that challenge and issue the following challenge to anyone else reading this post.

To anyone out there who has reached a goal but can step it up and strive to go to the next level, I challenge each of you to strive for that goal this year.

If you're an RPR, go for your RMR.

If you're not certified in a state where there is not certification, strive for your RPR.

If you're not certified to write realtime, get that cert.

If you're a student and are at 180.....go for your 225 by the end of the year.

If you're a beginning student......go for 120 to 140 WPM by the end of the year.

If you're a student almost out, strive to make 10 errors or less on every test. Don't settle to just pass the tests. Blow them away.

If you're an active member in the association and know someone who isn't......go get 'em and try to get them to participate somehow for the betterment of the profession.

If you're............JUST DO IT!!!!!

Come on, Reporters!!!!!! Take the challenge.

(tipping hat)

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent post, Breck. Let me add to that that once you get the certifications, do not ever let them lapse. Many people do that. Then if they want to go for, say, the CRR, well, they no longer have the RPR and have to take that again. MANY PEOPLE have done this. Smart people! I don't get it.

And once you have a nice certification, you own it forever. It's a great feeling.

Marge Teilhaber, RDR, CSR (plus master's degree from my first career as a HS teacher)
Hi, Marge!

Well, I don't know how smart I am, but I first passed the RPR in 1980. Yep, let it go. Back then you just had to pay your dues. Didn't even have to do a CEU. What a dummy!

Took it again in 1997, so I could get all those other letters. Hopefully I am smart enough not to make the same mistake twice. I have high hopes of having my son sitting next to me in a speed contest and him leaving me in the dust. Can't wait to see the back of his head. Think that'll keep me straight. :)
Tami, no, you seem very smart, just like the 3 other very smart people that I know of that let it lapse. And then have to -- groan -- take the stupid thing again. Hopefully you say? C'mon, girl! Just pay the freakin' dues and go to a few conventions. I'll be at the midyear in April. If you're going, look for me!

Your son sounds like hot stuff, not unlike his mom! speed contests in both your futures, huh? That is fabulous.
I actually am .5 short as I type this and have already gotten one extension.

Clay and I did make it to Texas, and I was absolutely certain I would pass at least one leg of the speed contest, as I've done it before and had practiced, but last year's contest was un-FREAKIN' believable. Only three people passed the lit. Not very many more passed the legal opinion, which I thought I had in the bag until the second sentence. :)

With each leg you get .5 CEUs.

The big deal was Clay got to witness the whole thing and meet our nation's finest. That was priceless and worth every CEU I didn't get.

Gotta make the call this week, so I don't have history repeat itself. Maybe I can take a CPR class. I think I can pass that. :)
I am so impressed that you can even sit for a speed contest. Congratulations. That is unbelievable skill level and so much work to get there. Wonderful that Clay was there too. He'll be a fine addition to our world.

You didn't take any seminars while in Texas? Good that you got that extension. There are tons of ways to get points. Even SearchMaster has tests for points, your CAT I'm sure has tons of things, and NCRA, too. The conventoins are the easiest way but they cost $$$$$ but are so much fun. Get 'em, girl!!
Okay.
I took my first test last weekend - the RPR. Felt real good about it. I enrolled in the CR program in January and attended the morning class when I could. It helped me a lot to get into that "mode" of taking tests again.
When I went in for the RPR, it was the same room I've been in all semester and just felt like another day. I think that helped a lot as far as getting prepared and ready. I transcribed every single test I took during this semester, and, passed every single one. That also gave me the confidence for preparing for the test.

I'm curious to know if anyone else stepped up since I initially posted this challenge and have taken any tests or done anything else to improve their writing or skills.

I sure hope so.

(tipping hat)
Breck,

Count me as one that has stepped up to your challenge. I have my state certification but I let my RPR lapse in 2002. I have recently rejoined NCRA, but I missed the deadline to take the RPR last week. However, I did take a test preparation class that was offered through our state association, so I have also been getting back into "test" mode. I plan to keep myself in test mode until November, and the RPR will be a piece of cake! My ultimate goal is the CRR someday. Thanks for the inspiration!
Breck,

I also let my RPR lapse -- twice, no less -- (and two legs of the merit) and sat once again in that chair on Saturday. I swear, this time I won't let it lapse. SMAFT, I'm going for the CRR next. That is, as long as I passed. Seemed good, but I was exhausted... I actally left the house for the test wearing my slippers. Figured it out too late. Oh well. Nobody said a word.

Judy
Breck,

I also let my RPR lapse -- twice, no less -- (and two legs of the merit) and sat once again in that chair on Saturday. I swear, this time I won't let it lapse. SMAFT, I'm going for the CRR next. That is, as long as I passed. Seemed good, but I was exhausted... I actally left the house for the test wearing my slippers. Figured it out too late. Oh well. Nobody said a word.

Judy
I too am going to step up to the plate, finally after 22 years of being just a plain old CSR. I'm going to start practicing and hopefully take the RPR next year. I've never been a member of NCRA, so I guess I need to do that to get the RPR. I also would like to push all the way to CRR someday as well, or at least I'll dream about it.
I have my CSR , but I'm going to take the RPR and so on and so forth.....just to get it over with. I'm just not a masochist for major stress and not being able to breathe when taking a test. Though I passed the CSR the first time, that was under major pressure because the agency that I was working for was demanding CSRs from all his reporters, but the pressure was on. I think the only reason I passed it on the first try was because I was working in court so I was used to doing 4 voice testimony.

well, I'm going to take the written test in october I think it is and then the skills test. Wish me luck
I have my RPR. I want to get my CRR and RMR next. I want to take a test in November. What I'm not sure about is which one to try for first.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service