I'm very curious how important proper punctuation is to agency owners. I'm sure it's important to most agencies that the transcripts they send out look as good as they can, including accurancy and proper punctuation. But we all know there are varying and conflicting punctuationrules out there. Do you hope that your reporters can back up their punctuation with a rule? Or does it not matter?

We are faced with ever-changing rules, conflicting rules in different books, scopists and proofreaders who don't always know the rules, teaching our scopists and proofreaders to follow the rules or our "style" of punctuation.

We are representing you when we send our transcripts out. Does it matter to you that some basics aren't followed, like:

1. Comma before a coordinating conjunction (FANBOY) when it's between two independent clauses.
2. Semicolon between them if either clause has a comma within it.
3. Periods or semicolons between two ind. clauses that don't have a coord. conj.
4. Commas around restrictive clauses.
5. Commas around interjections (that is, for example, in other words, you know, etc.)
6. Dashes (not commas) to show an interruption in thought.
7. Resiting the urge to place a comma somewhere because it "feels" right.

And some other non-punctuation preferences like gluing people's names together so they don't become separated on two lines, spelling out numbers at the beginning of sentences if it's three words or less, etc.

Do you expect your reporters to know most basic punctuation rules? Or do you feel there are too many conflicting rules and styles out there to even bother worrying about it or bother your reporters with it?

Would you tend to not use a reporter again if you saw they didn't follow basic rules in their transcripts?

Do you assume most of your clients wouldn't know if the punctuation is right or not?

So how important is proper punctuation? Is it a dead art form that has completely left our profession for good? Has churning out the pages become more important than worrying about the subtle nuances the right punctuation can bring to a transcript?

Basically, am I driving myself crazy for nothing trying to follow the fules?

Thanks for any and all opinions. And, please, no harsh words in this thread. I know some people feel very strongly about punctuation and doing a good job, but let's be professional.

Views: 300

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You only put a comma before "but" if what follows is an independent clause (has a verb and a subject and can stand on its own). The basic rule is to use a comma before a coordinating conjunction when it's between two independent clauses.

"So" is a conjunction. Conjunctions are FANBOYS (for, and, no, but, or, yet, so). No comma after "so" unless, like in your first instance, you have a nonessential phrase after it (as I braced myself). Though lots of style manuals are leaning away from it and would suggest "So as I braced myself, I went..." Also, in your third set, the first one is right because you want to separate out the adverb, hesitantly, with commas.

Click here for a good site on conjunctions.

I was trying to keep this discussion geard toward agency owners, to see how they feel about it. I'm glad you posted it, because I'm sure others struggle with this. This would be a great discussion for the punctuation group. So, if you wouldn't mind, please post it over there. Just click here.
Thanks for all the GREAT responses! I will take my comma discourse to the appropriate forum section. :>)

As an agency owner, I would say that punctuation is somewhat important to me. I realize that everybody will do things differently around the country, and I am learning that more and more as I work with others.

What is upsetting to me, however, is when I provide a style and format to someone who may be new working with me, and then I receive a transcript back which reveals to me that the person who I gave the initial info to obviously did not follow it. As one example, I never use symbols like percent signs. I write out "percent." I do not abbreviate "et cetera" as "etc." I write it out. When I provide this info to someone who I have not worked with before and then I receive a transcript back with "%" and "etc.," it is a little annoying.

I think one of the things that separates the lions from the lambs in this industry is the capability to follow a style guide, personal preferences, and directions at the very beginning of one's business relationship.

That said, I think it is up to the agency owner to provide the necessary information right from the very beginning when working with someone for the first time. Nobody does it exactly the same way.

I always said you could give 10 people a 10-minute recording, and you will receive back 10 different transcripts, each punctuated differently, paragraphed differently, et cetera.
I'm not an "agency owner" per se, but I do have reporters cover overflow for me. The transcripts have my name and footer and the billings are done through me. So they're representing me.

I want punctuation to be correct, but understand that "correct" is up for grabs in some cases. I truly don't care how it's done as long as it is correct. I don't care if they use A. and Q. when I use only A and Q. Conformity among the transcripts just doesn't matter to me. I know attorneys and paralegals see a lot of different transcripts from a lot of different reporters and firms. They're not going to remember that a transcript from one of my subs is different from mine.

I'm also not going to waste my time combing through a seasoned sub's transcript for punctuation. I wouldn't demand backup for something that I'd do differently. A new reporter, sure, I'd check through it. I'd point out things that were glaring, but nothing that was optional.

No, I don't think punctuation is dead. It's a living, breathing thing that changes with the times.
I agree with Brenda. As long as it's correct and readable, I don't think agencies should micromanage things like % vs. percent, et cetera vs. etc. My humble opinion only, but that's a good way to lose a good reporter.
I just noticed the numbers portion of your list. I never write out numbers over 10 no matter where they appear in the sentence. What others do is up to them.

What the heck is FANBOY?

Big fat ditto to Judy's comment about losing a good reporter over minutia.

As far as driving yourself crazy: By now, you know the basics; you know the nuances; you probably write the punctuation as you go. You're only driving yourself crazy if you're second-guessing yourself worrying too much about what others think of your product. :)
I enjoy reading other opinions, especially about punctuation matters.

Sometimes I have to split up jobs with five or six people, each transcript going to the same client. If one person uses symbols like "%" and another one writes out the word "percent" instead of the symbol, there is no consistency in the transcripts. For me, consistency is what I strive for.

My client base is probably different than some folks on CSRnation. As an example, for congressional jobs, if you're not consistent and don't follow the guidelines provided by the committee, it doesn't go over very well with the committee staff. If you can believe it, we are not allowed to use contractions like I've, we've, they'll, I'd, et cetera, but we can use negative contractions like won't, didn't, haven't, et cetera, in congressional transcripts.

I think it helps to have everybody singing from the same song sheet, which is why I try to provide a style guide, transcript format, and punctuation likes and dislikes.

I agree with Brenda, though, that I probably worry too much about what others think of my product. :>)
Jenni,

I notice you're a transcriptionist. Do you type directly from the audio recordings from the proceedings?

Judy
I was actually beginning to feel like a Klingon on the Starship Enterprise, and I am so glad you asked, Judy! :>)

We transcribe CLIENT-provided audio.
Well, I guess that begs the next question: Who is the "client"?
Jenni,

I need to add, I'm not trying to pry into your client base. I guess I'm wondering if you're a straight "typist" versus what some transcribers consider ER or whatever other name they're using. But I guess I just answered my own question. If you're not actually in the room when the recording is made (which I'm assuming you're not), then you wouldn't be considered ER, correct????
I am not considered an ER (electronic reporter).

An example of a job I might receive is, say, a government agency is doing a press briefing and needs a same-day or overnight delivery. They record it themselves, send me the audio, and I produce a transcript from their audio.

The client-provided audio we do may be congressional committee meetings, TV/radio shows, journalist interviews, focus groups, oral histories, webinars, advisory committees, et cetera.

I realize I'm a rare breed on this site, but I was actually hoping to hook up with some kindred souls in my area who can produce same-day transcripts for one client that I have. I don't care of they're ER, stenomaskers, stenotypists, or pen writers, as long as they can produce a transcript with a same-day delivery.

To get back on the topic of the thread, it is important that all my transcripts are alike as much as they can possibly be. With punctuation, I don't think there is a right or wrong sometimes, but I do like consistency throughout a transcript.

Thanks for the inquiry, Judi. :>)
Jennie, you should join the Cover Depos groups. There are several of those groups for different cities all around the country. Click here for the Los Angeles Cover Depos group. Then you can send out requests to transcribe recordings to the reporters signed up to receive emails from the group. There's always someone looking for work to fill in the gaps. If you have more questions, I'm sure Monti, the site administrator, can help you.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service