Hi everyone:) I have been working now for about two years, and I am now looking how to get right up there in speed around the 280 and whatnot that I'm seeing others at. I have been looking into many options. I went to Alfred State and practiced the Realtime Writing Theory there. I just don't know what is the best way to practice to gain very high speeds with accuracy. I have been looking into Realtime Coach and then just speedbuilding tapes as well as a couple other books. I have ordered Brief Encounters, but just haven't gotten it yet.

So, what is the advice/input from everyone on this?

THANKS!

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Erica,

I just put what I'd recommend on my blog, magnumsteno.com. You can see it on the CSRnation main page right now.

I just passed the 280 this past summer, and I think it has a lot to do with help from Mark Kislingbury's books, speedbuilding philosophy, and advice.

Good luck! Thanks for caring about our profession enough to seek writing excellence. So great to hear from a relatively young professional!
You are one of the reasons I am trying to find the right method to get up there. I find you and your son inspiring! I already have written to Mark Kislingbury's website because I am interested in the book. I am just concerned that the briefs in there may conflict with the briefs and steno outline that I already have.

Thank you very much for helping, and tell your son good luck!:)
Just my .02, but I don't think Realtime Coach will do it for you for speed. I've got it and really am not all that thrilled with it.
I really don't think some of the speakers know what speed they're supposed to be speaking. Plus, when one take is finished, you have to get out of that one and open up another one and it does take a couple of clicks of your mouse.

A while back I was able to log into Mark's old website, and really wasn't too thrilled with that one either. There was lots of extraneous chit-chat on that one that I could do without. "Oh, and Mary's joined us now. Hi, Mary. How are you doing today?" Ugh. I don't know why they didn't edit that junk out.

I do have a lot of NCRA CDs and love how it goes from one take to another with just a small pause. Plus the readers are right on their mark AFA speed.

Maybe you can demo Mark's new program for a day before you purchase?

Good luck.

Judy
Judy,

That's the old site. Mark is not affiliated with it at all. I'm sure Erica can definitely try the magnumsteno dictation out and see how she likes it. It's got that 100% guarantee, too.

I learned in Vegas this week at the CCRA convention not to put a comma before "too," but I'm having a hard time breaking up with it. Guess using the comma shows my age, so think I should dump it ASAP. :)

Erica, you don't have to incorporate his writing style. I can almost bet, though, that if you did sign up for the dictation that you'd be wanting to know more.

Some theories are easier than others to incorporate other theory principles into. That really is what I recommend. Instead of a brief here and there, I like to incorporate a whole new theory principle. Something that's taking two or three strokes that with an easy principle can be shortened into one.

Now, I love my briefs, don't get me wrong, but I LOVE phrases and new theory principles.

Thank you, Erica, for your kinds words!
Andrea (Murphy) posted on depoman that she joined magnumsteno. I'm pretty sure she loves it. You could get some feedback from her.
Can you let me know how you like it?? Then at least I can get a little more feedback on it!! Thank you!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service