I just thought some of the court reporting students would have an opinion on how practicing diligently sometimes leads to unexpected disappoinment and mental/physical frustration. I don't mean that you should practice less; I'm trying to express to students how doing all the "right" things for coping with tests, and dictation in general (such as experimenting with different methods of practice) may not lead to the desired results. In fact, you may feel you're actually getting WORSE by being consciencious.
I'm in the last class(190 w.p.m. -- 225 w.p.m.) at the New York Career Institute and I need two more tests to graduate. It might sound controversial but some of the mental tricks I've used to get this far (e.g. passing those nerve-racking tests) are as follows:

In the minute or two before the test is given, I assume I'm going to fail the test for any multitude of reasons. This doesn't mean I'm not going to try to pass. I'm just trying to trick my brain into running out of ways of sabotaging me into failure, whether it's messing up in the beginning, middle, or toward the end of the test. This way, I may not feel as nervous, and will be able to concentrate better, and make it possible to get cleaner notes.
Another method I try to employ before a test is not to fall into the trap of thinking to myself, "I hope this will be a 'good' test." In other words, a "good" test may consist of simpler words, familiar phrasing, and similar things that fall into our comfort zone. I try to think the opposite -- I think, "This is going to be a really challenging test." I think this because it may make me more comfortable in being out of my comfort zone; I may feel a little more prepared for any monkey wrenches, like a lot of dashes in the test, which can throw you off, or names that are syllabically dense, and whatever else you feel throws you for a loop.
A third example of staying mentally sharp is avoiding the thought, "Please, let this test end already!" Taking a test may deceive you into thinking it won't feel that long. But when your expectations are high, and you feel you're doing well during the test, you may want the test to be over before it's actually over, since you're afraid that somewhere along the line, you might lose your concentration, slip up, and at that point, you might have a "mental meltdown." If I can think of it during the test, I'll purposely say to myself, "Okay, there's about 7 minutes to go." I come up with that riduculous number to fool my brain and prevent it from allowing me to have the neccessary mental stamina to get through the test.
I hope some of you don't think these methods seem out of this world ( it's okay if you do!) but they may help in conquering any 'personal demons' that may pop up either during test-taking, taking down dictation in class for readback, or when you're not feeling particularly enthusiastic about being in class on a particular day.
Any and all responses are welcome.
-- David

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great suggestions! I have found that sometimes I surprise myself. I'll be thinking during the test that it feels difficult, and I am probably not getting it, but I find while transcribing it I managed to get something readable and I pass! I think there is a benefit from "psyching yourself out".

Thanks for sharing : )
Dear KJM:
Just out of curiosity, what speed are you currently going for? I just hope my suggestions will apply to the lower speeds as they do to the higher speeds ( My tips were part of my very first posting on csrnation, and I wanted to do everything I could to help support students like you. One last question -- what court reporting school do you go to?

P.S. I read one of your postings, which mentioned that you were 30. I happen to be 30 as well. I guess it's ironic that not only were you were the only one who replied to my posting, but you are someone who is in my age group too. Look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.
-- David
David:

I'm at 130. I appreciate your tips, so please keep 'em coming! I go to Humphreys College in Stockton, CA. I've been in the program for a year now. I am pleased with my progress, but I fear I will hit the dreaded "plateau" I've heard about. Did you hit a wall at any point in your speedbuilding? What practice tips would you offer?

I find that I am able to psych myself out for tests but I can totally bomb a dictation for readback. Sometimes I wish the instructor would do them unannounced.

Yeah, I'm officially an adult now -- 30 years old, or as I lke to say: 20-10 LOL. I am glad to be going through the program at my age. I would not have had the focus and determination to get through it in my early 20s. Plus, I was much more timid at that age (afraid to speak up or ask questions) Maybe now I might be a little too outspoken in the classroom, but I figure: Hey, I'm shelling out a lot of money for this education, and I want to get the most out of it, KWIM?

~Kyla

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service