Okay, I'm just a TAD peeved, to say the least. On a job right now.  I just had an attorney say to me this morning, "I'll take a mini, electronic and regular.  I'll take a rough if there's no charge."

Me (almost speechless in disbelief): "Really? People are giving away free roughs?"

He: "Oh, yeah. It's getting really competitive out there. And we take the rough electronically only."

I asked him which firms were giving away free roughs. He said two firms that he uses all the time. (Please don't use any of the firms I work for -- EVER.) I asked for names.  He wouldn't say specifically, only that they are small firms in San Jose. Well, there goes your argument for small firms being so "ethical" and "righteous," giving away your hard work for free.  Then again he could be simply lying to me to see what I'd/we'd be willing to give him for FREE, if anything.

I mean, is this really what small firms are stooping to, to compete?  "So instead of little gifts, we'll work for you for free."  Sure, it's no sweat off the firm's back; it's at your (the reporter's) expense. I know none of the big, bad, dirty national firms that I work for is giving away free roughs.

Me: "Well, we don't give it away, so I suppose you don't want one."

He: "No."

Good! Then happy note-taking to you, sir.  I hope you brought some extra pens so you don't run out of ink.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather quit the profession the day I have to give away a free rough -- or any work product, for that matter.

I mean, wow!  Just WOW!!!  I have other choice words, but I'm sure they are entirely inappropriate for a semi-private forum.

Views: 1601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent, Deanna.  Many reporters kind of channel Norma Rae when it comes to what we do and the current state of affairs in the profession.  "Solidarity" is a word that's often associated with unions.  But solidarity is defined as "Unity or agreement of feeling or action, especially among individuals with a common interest."  Also, "Mutual support within a group."  Solidarity is a union or fellowship arising from common responsibilities and interests among members of a group.  It is a community of feelings, purposes.  So whether or not there is an official union that would bring the sheer power found in unions, almost all of us can share in the feeling of solidarity that the choices we make each day work toward improving things for all reporters.  For now, it's the best we can do!  So I'll sign off as I often do ...

Solidarity.

M.A.

Yes, I remember hearing that the reporters would go to the office in the mornings and wait to see where they were going.  It's been so long since I've heard about the unions in New York.  I've been doing this 26 years, and I used to be sooooo busy!  Begging for days off to get work done.  Now it has slowed down for my agency, that I am starting to call outside agencies for work.  I am like the other reporter, Rachel Ann, and will not work for less than my going rate, no matter how much I need the work.  I've been doing this too long to work for peanuts!

LOL on the Norma Rae!!!

You're the best, Carol!

Most definitely, solidarity, M. A.!

Wow, thanks :)

Hi Deanna,

What David probably meant was just that it is not as cohesive and more disjointed because the employers haven't formed bonds like we used to have when we came into the office almost every day to get our transcripts out.  We were independent contractors but it was more like employer/employee relationships and the union didn't interfere with anything, just kept everyone in line with what was rightfully due us.  With the internet nobody saw anybody so it just added to the employer's independence and the reporters were not seeing each other every day to add fuel to the fire.  Don't forget in those days, which includes me, jobs were plentiful, not enough great reporters to even go around, lots of travel to five-star hotels, tons of money flowing.  Not so sure the union would be able to help us too much today in this economy, but it definitely would get us more on those bust rates we are paid.

Just have to put my 2 cents in here, that I think it's ridiculous that we give away condensed transcripts.   ASCIIs I can kind of understand; it's an electronic transcript.  But the condensed transcript is a service, an extra step, something else we do.  What other profession gives away a service?  Attorneys charge you for a phone call.

I would never work for a firm that gives away roughs or expedites. What's next -- being paid by the hour??

Debbie, I respectfully beg to differ re "ASCIIs I can kind of understand; it's an electronic transcript" as to whether it is okay to give this away.  The ASCII is still work product, and I strongly feel work product should never be given away. It would be like saying it would be okay to give away free copies of all transcripts as long as it's in electronic form: PDFs, E-Trans, ASCII's, etc.

I agree with you in some respects, Quyen -- even thought about it before I wrote it because I used to be against giving them away.  But the world has really moved to electronic media being more of a norm than it was even 5 or 6 years ago.  I have a lot of attorneys who don't even want a hard copy any more.  It just seems to me that once they pay for a copy, they should be able to access it electronically.   But you're right; it is a slippery slope. 

I think most, if not all, CR firms provide a CD with transcripts. The CD may have the transcript (in addition to PDF exhibits) in several formats, i.e., PDF, E-Trans, ASCII, so they are able to access it electronically --  if they pay for it.

I think we might be talking across each other, Debbie. I don't mean a simple ASCII of a final transcript if the attorney has ordered and paid for a transcript; I think, in this case, yes, it's fine to throw in a CD with electronic copies of the transcript.  The issue here is attorneys wanting a free ROUGH ASCII.

Took me a while to get back here -- but, yes, you're right, Quyen.  I thing we're both really saying the same thing.  A firm I work for gives away a rough ASCII, I'm gone!

Giving away Condensed?

Is that a service?

Is that created with software which Reporter had to purchase, with Support which needs to be maintained?

Was the purchase or the Support free???

I don't think so!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service