I'm looking for a computer and not sure what to get.  I've always had Dells, and I currently have one that is 2 years old with problems.  At this time, Dell is sending a tech out to give me a rebuilt hard drive.  I'm not happy.  So does anyone have any computer suggestions?  I'm currently on Case Catalyst.

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Case Cat.  I got the software downloaded, but can figure out how to restore my settings.  Tech won't help me on the weekend because I don't have support. 
Have them help you w/ your audio settings and also set your USB ports so the will NOT go to sleep/hibernate.
Great, thank you.  I didn't know the USB would hibernate. 
I'm running Vista on my Sony that I take to jobs and they did start hibernating on me.  Maybe that's just Vista.
I was using a Dell with Vista for 2 years and it just now started giving me problems.  For some reason it acts like it crashedby saying it can't find the hard drive .  Dell wants to rebuild my hard drive now.  I will definitely ask about the USB hibernating.  Is there anything else you can think of?

That does sound like a hard drive problem to me.  I had TERRIBLE luck w/a  Dell.  I think they have bad equipment.  I lost a hard drive w/ my Dell.

The USB ports hibernating is simply a setting that needs to be made.

I used to only purchase Dells.  At this time I have lost  faith in them.  I will let them rebuild my HD, download Windows 7 and use the comp as my home comp.  Thanks for your advise.  If there is anything you can think of before Monday that I should ask my software rep, please let me know. 

I would just make a list and write it down since you'll be paying for the call and check it off.  Make sure the audio settings are done, your realtime is up and running.  I would have my writer set up so you can test it while on the phone with the rep.  Set the USB ports so they don't go to sleep.  

They set people up all the time so they should know what to do but have a list and check it off as you go.  Test that audio while they're on the phone with you.  I think you get an hour or they charge you for an hour so, get your money's worth.  :-)  I stay under support so I've never done the pay-as-you-go system.  I'd love to not pay for support but I know I would need it in a crisis situation so I keep paying them....

I think your idea to fix the Dell and use it as at at-home computer is great.  That's what I've done with my old computers.  Since you've had trouble w/ your hard drive on the Dell, be sure to back all jobs up on a flash drive so you don't lose any editing.  

Were I in your shoes (or pumps, as the case may be), I would switch to the Mac.

The new MacBook Pros are more than capable of running both the Mac OS and Windows, either via emulation (VMWare Fusion, Parallels, Sun's Virtual Disk) or directly (via Boot Camp).

The difference:  With Boot Camp, you don't have access to the Mac OS.

If weight is a concern, the new MacBook Air is nearly as thin as a magazine, but now comes with two USB ports ... and the mechanical hard drive has been replaced with a SSD ("Solid State Drive"), which is basically the same technology used in flash drives.

With SSD drives, there was an initial concern about how they would not write over used sectors when erased ... so you would have a virtually empty drive that you could not write more data to!

I spoke with a Mac tech the other day about this issue.  He said the new technology behind the SSDs will allow the user to overwrite the drive hundreds of thousands of times ... and that's a good thing.

I have an article about running CATs on Macs.  It's a bit out of date and in serious need of a rewrite, but the essentials are there.

You can find it here:

http://www.cheapandsleazy.net/sex_and_power_iii.html

There's even be a way to migrate your existing system to VMWare Fusion or Parallels!

Good Luck, Cathie,  I'm signing off for tonight.  Be sure and let me know how everything turns out.  I'm really happy w/ my Sony.  I think it's a good computer.

Boy, I hate getting a new computer and having to reload everything on the new computer.  What an absolute pain.  I am always worried I will forget something like remembering to turn all the USB ports to never turn off to save power.  I always forget that step and then your USB ports stop working in the middle of a depo.  Hate that.  Plus all the drivers you have to install. 

I am hoping my Toshiba will work for a few more years so I don't have to worry about it.  It is over three years old but since I don't edit on it and only take it out to depos, I am hoping it will last a little longer.

Cathie, did you get your computer up and running?  How's your audio???

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service