I know this topic may be better situated in the Marla's punctuation subforum, but I thought a discussion of it might be something that could be useful in the main forum. Plus, I would like to learn the opinions of others: seasoned pros, students (what they're teaching you in school about this topic, if anything), proofreaders, scopists, transcriptionists, and veterans in the indusry.

I have strong feelings about commas. In recent times, I have expanded my network of folks that I work with, and it seems that there's a school of thought that swings both ways on the serial comma.

Example A. I bought apples, peaches, and pears.
Example B. I bought apples, peaches and pears.

Please follow up on this thread with your preference of the serial comma, as it will help me provide a follow-up to my work associates.

TIA to any and all responders! :-)

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is a great way to remember those punctuation styles, Keith. Thanks for sharing! :-)
Thanks, Keith! The explanation and examples you provided above are the best I've ever seen!!!!! Makes me think, Why didn't I think of that?

Happy Holidays!

Kathy
I don't think you're old-fashioned. I have always usedtwo spaces at the end of a period. I did receive a transcript a few months ago from somebody helping me on a job that only used one space. I just thought it was a "given" that everybody used two spaces.

My daughter's college tells them to only use one space on their written papers they turn in.

Thanks for your input! :-)
I used to use Exambe B, but my proofers have been adding the comma in before and. Also, my son's fifth grade teacher, when correcting my son's writing, will put the comma in before the and.
Rosalie,

I have a good friend who's a 75-ish court reporter, and she does not use the serial commas in lists of three or more. We had a brief discussion about it, and she believes that this is wrong to use that serial comma.

The majority of people in my neck of the woods that I work with do use the serial comma.

Again, I guess the usage of a serial comma could be a style preference, but I prefer to use them.

Also, a conundrum I see quite often today, much more so than 20 or 30 years ago, is the omission of commas between full sentences that are separated with a conjunction.

Example A: I went to the store, and we went out to dinner.
Example B. I went to the store and we went out to dinner.

Some people may choose Example B, but I use Example A in my transcripts.

Another comma concern with me is knowing when and when not to use a comma with the word "So" at the beginning of a sentence, but I'll save that for another time. :-)
I went to Grammar Girl and Wickipedia. A lot of it has to do with ambiguity, clarity, simplicity, and having just one rule instead of having to use your discretion. Let's face it, if you have a REAL LONG sentence, those commas are needed.

Grammar Girl:
Although the serial comma isn't always necessary, I favor it because often it does add clarity, and I believe in having a simple, consistent style, instead of trying to decide whether you need something on a case-by-case basis. I also think using the serial comma makes even simple lists easier to read. Really, unless space is incredibly expensive, I can't imagine why anyone would decide the best method is sometimes leave it out and sometimes add it in*.

P.S. Don't overdo your commas. There are times when you also need ";."
According to Morson's, Rule 43, it would have the three commas.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service