I like the MeritWriter I got.  It's brand new, from under a bed or closet.  I bought one back in '84(?).  (But because of life, I sold the writer almost new and took other work).

Per DigitalCat, the MeritWriter should use IOGear or Dynex.  I know the adapters work because they work with the Stenoram II.

With the MeritWriter, DigitalCat opens up a document, but absolutely no steno is translated.  Should I buy (another) adapter, or is there something wrong with the writer? 

(I am not intending to use the MeritWriter as a full time reporter, but it is brand new and I would like to have it for use.).

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The choices are: (1) the writer; (2) the realtime cord; or (3) the usb adapter.

I do not have a user guide for the writer.  My logic tells me if the  green light is on then it is working.  I should just have to plug in the stuff to the software and make it work.  It also says EE04.

Anyone have any idea what the blinking red light means? 

Mary Jo,

What says EE04, the writer or the CAT system?

Mary Jo, I  used the Ativa brand USB-to-serial adapter that I purchased from Office Depot.  I connected my Flash writer to my laptop running Vista just fine.  It comes with a mini CD to install the drivers.  You'll get a warning that it's not Microsoft approved or whatever, and asks if you want to install anyway.  Just say yes, and it installs fine.  The cost was around $17 - $25; I don't remember now.  There are no blinking lights or anything, so it's pretty straightforward.  I have the Diamante now, so I can't imagine ever needing it for anything anymore.  If you want to private-message me with your address, I'll be happy to give you my adapter to try out.  If it doesn't work, you can just send it back to me.  Oh, I copied the CD to a thumb drive, so I could just e-mail you the drivers too.

Quyen,

Any USB adapter will have a blinking light going when it is plugged in and working, including thumb drives that are just plugged in.

My USB-to-serial cable has no lights whatsoever.  Simple cable, that's it.  Male serial at one end, USB on the other.  I've used it for years, and I'm looking at it right now.

Quyen, that's so thoughtful.  There is a steno guy out in St. Pete.  He said he knows a lot about the MeritWriter, so I may take a field trip over there.

PROLIFIC USB'S.

For those who haven't researched it, a lot of the USB-to-serial ports are manufactured by Prolific.  Not one reporter has made any comments about what a wonderful Prolific is, but a few have said it simply does not work  for a steno machine, even though it is supposed to.  This Dynex is make by Prolific and is pretty simplistic - so I am not surprised it does not work.  I will check on the Ativa brand.  Thanks.

Mary Jo,

If there is someone close by that knows about the MWs, I would take it in.  I can't remember (it's been three writers ago) exactly how it worked with the DW, but I did do RT with it.  With that, I know it is possible.

Good luck.

BTW, I thought Keyspan was made by Trip.

Tricia, Keyspan and Tripp Lite merged sometime back -- about the time Vista was coming out.
That's what I thought, Glen.  I know when I bought my Keyspan from Amazon, Tripp Lite was mentioned in the description.  Thanks for the input!
Oh, and I didn't mean to say to just try it out.  If it works, you're welcome to keep it.  :)

That is really, really thoughtful of you, Quyen!  Don't you just love it?  One reporter helping another.  I wish we all did that, but sometimes, people are too busy to take the time.

Kudos to you!

Thanks, Tricia. I try.  I'm only bad and evil the other 99% of the time.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service