I am a former court reporter with six years of reporting experience. I have been scoping/proofreading for two years and am looking to broaden my client base. I am currently on Case CATalyst 4 and Digital Cat. I have audio capabilities with both softwares and also have Express Scribe digital transcription software.

References upon request.

Views: 28

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,
My name is Karyl, and I am making the move to become a scopist. I have an advanced background in English and have spent most of my time as a teacher. However, what I love is proofreading and editing. Scopistry is new to me in concept, but I know this is where my future lies. Can you tell me a bit about the devices and computer systems you use and also a bit about courses you might have taken that allowed you to move from court reporter to scopist?
Many thanks,
Karyl
Hi, Karyl!

I haven't taken any special courses beyond the specific courses I took in the court reporting program I graduated from in college. Scoping and proofreading is just one part of being a court reporter, so to become a scopist, I haven't had to learn any new skills. The only thing I can think of that would give you an advantage is knowing the steno theory, that way, you can help reporters build their dictionaries.

The software is somewhat expensive, but most software companies have a scopist version, which is considerably less. Other than that, if you think you've got what it takes, I say go for it! I thoroughly enjoy what I do. I guess partly because it's a function of my career I've been doing for years now, and partly because I can stay home and concentrate more on my children.

Good luck!
Hi April,

I, too, am a former court reporter. I would like to get into scoping from home, but I don't know where to start. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated. How did you make the switch? Thanks!

Denise

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service