Hello, my name is Alycia Matchen. Like many of you, I am a CR student, a mom and a part time scopist in the greater New York area. I understand that there are some areas of the country in which one can earn a decent living as a scopist. Unfortunately, New York is not one of those areas. What areas of the United States can one make a good living at being a scopist?

Views: 35

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Alycia, I noticed that no one replied to your question so I'll try. I guess the term "decent living" is relative. I don't make a great salary but I love the work and there is a lot of cost savings from working at home versus working outside the home. For example, gas, clothes, office expense, child care, et cetera.

I've been a scopist for over five years now and live in Oregon but have clients in New York, Florida, Texas, Massachusetts, Washington and California. With the Internet you really don't have to live in a certain place to work as a scopist. The interesting thing is the rates you can charge. For example, my usual page rate is 1.25 for regular turnaround scoping with audio. My reporters in CA and TX don't even bat an eye at that rate but the reporters in other states usually try to negotiate a lower rate with me, which I will usually try to work with them on that. So I guess I would say to try to expand your horizons as far as where you look for reporters.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Linda

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service