This is quite different for me. I'm enjoying it, but it is leaving me feeling sad after I read it. . . Not in a "bad" way, but just sad. If this is making any sense, LOL.

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rhoda:

So glad you joined the group. Loved your list in your other post; I've read about half those books and enjoyed them all. Never heard of "The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox." What's it about?

D
Ok, I am not good at book reports, like yours, lol.

A girl, Iris, discovers her Gr. Aunt was in a mental institution for 60 yrs, and her Grandma or no one 'talked' about her! The girl's mom didn't know either. Iris ends up w/the Aunt...I am at that part where the Aunt is now staying with her.

It goes back and forth between past/present...is kind of hoppy, but I am not too lost or anything. I am anxious to find out WHY the Aunt was put away! Her family was wealthy and her parents were snobs, IMHO. There were caretakers, the mom did nothing.

And you learn about Iris also and possibly how all these choices that were made back then about the Aunt could have affected generations?? Again, not done yet. Just guessing. Told you I am not good at reports, lol.
No, actually, Rho, you did a very nice job. You've gotten my attention. Now I have to add another book to my "try it and see" list! :)

D
And I was right....stayed up late to finish it. Is a small book, not very long. Did not 'enjoy' the ending, and it was not 'due' by my club until April so may reread it after I do March's book. It was a quite sad book. Best way to put it, lol. Think the 40s/50s when women were 'repressed' to be 'good little wives' and such. I watched a special on PBS one night about how women were locked up, (for example, for crying too much) back in those years and were given a lobotomy. I felt like this book was from that show I watched. It has left me feeling angry at the generation of that time....no communication. Memory Keeper's Daughter was kind of the same, whereas a 'secret' affected many lives, although I enjoyed that one better than this. Not feeling like it was a loss to read it though...this book.

Just trying not to give away too many spoilers too.
Rho
Hi:

I was born in the late 1950s, so I know a little of what you mean about how different it was then. I'm old enough to actually miss some of that time. As a little girl growing up, all I ever wanted out of life was to be somebody's wife and somebody's mother. As an adult, I have been somebody's wife and somebody's mother, but not exclusively. While I like my independence and freedom, it came with a price. I was divorced early in my daughter's life and mostly raised her on my own (my ex-husband and I have an excellent relationship, but he's got emotional issues and wasn't always there as a father when he was needed, though he tried his best). Sometimes, when all the responsibility of single parent, sole breadwinner, et cetera, got to me, I'd long for the days when women were treated as less than capable and protected and so forth. There were days when I would cheerfully have been "repressed" if it meant that I could rely on somebody else to take care of the things which were overwhelming me. Always a flip side, I guess, huh?

D
Yeah, can relate in a sense....I have a wonderful DH now and he 'takes care' of me. Was very hard to get used to tho! I 'wanted' it but didn't, lol. I was divorced before and have a 23yr DS too. Pg at 17/married at 18/divorced at 21....sigh.

But the lack of communication back then, I would not go back. Just how everything was 'in the closet' so to speak. No one discussed child abuse/sex abuse/etc. if it was a family member. Wife abuse was the same, I am thinking.

I am all for women having a life, but "I" like having 'support' also. But I totally think I get what you are saying. :)

Rho

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service