HI ALL! I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP. I AM LOOKING TO PURCHASE A PROFESSIONAL WRITER. I AM READY TO GRADUATE AND NEED ONE ASAP.
THEY ARE VERY EXPENSIVE, AND I WANT TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE.

I DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE GETTING A USED WRITER, AND I AM NOT SURE IF I SHOULD GO PAPERLESS.

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE. STENOGRAPH HAS A GREAT DEAL GOING ON RIGHT NOW ON THEIR NEW WRITERS.

ANY ADVICE??

Views: 256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for the information Kelli. Most of the students in my class went for the Fusion. I just like having the option of using paper if I want to. I am also looking into the Stylus. I hear a lot of good feedback from that machine. I wonder why so many people are stuck on Stenograph? ProCat has been around a long time.

Thanks again, Susan
Hi Barb,

Thank you for the info. I was thinking about the Stylus, and I also think they have zero percent interest right now.
There is only one out of fifteen students in my class who have one. Everyone has the Fusion.
I am also on Eclipse. Will the Stylus automatically resolve conflicts or do you need the ProCat software?

Thanks, Susan
Hi Barb,
How do you like your Stylus so far. I am looking into one since I just passed my last test at school. I want to make the right decision since the machines are sooo expensive. I have heard the Steno doctor has recommended the Stylus over the Fusion and the Mira.
I would appreciate any advice.
Also, PLEASE tell me you are working steady. I am hearing it is very very slow out there.

Susan
The Steno Dr says wait for the bugs to be worked out on the Fusion and Mira. They service two Miras a week for lost data. If you buy a used Stentura 8000 or 8000LX, they are pxl 10 years old but reliable writers. Be gentle with the serial port when connecting for RT. If they become loose (which they are prone to do), RT translation abruptly stops on your laptop during a depo. I have the serial code numbers of the ones you want to avoid buying at my home and I'll post them for you here tomorrow. This is because the mother boards aren't serviceable due to lack of part manufacturing. Don't buy the used Xscribe Ultras because they don't make the ribbons for them anymore. When the ribbon breaks, they become $3,000 doorstops (hehe.)
I know I have to give this some serious thought before spending $5,000, plus the software. I did buy my student machine used for $400.

Did you buy a new machine when you first started working? I just love the idea that the new machines are wireless. Is the 8000LX wireless?

Thank you, Yvette

Sue
You can make the 8000LX wireless. You can buy a BluePort Wireless XP and a Bluetooth USB adapter for your laptop.
Thank you for the information Diane. A lot of people have been telling me to get a used machine. One of my fellow classmates bought the 8000 with the Case software included for a great price.

Sue
Kelli, what are you using now? I am getting more and more confused. Someone is selling a Fusion for $3,700 that was used for 6 months. I just passed my last test at school and I need a new writer. The majority of the students in my school are buying the Fusion.
Can you give me your advice, since you have been a reporter for many years.

Susan
I know! Why does it stack so bad?! I've had to change my writing on some strokes just to deal with the stacking issue.
You're welcome. Glad to help.
The Steno Doctor just recommended the Stylus to me. I had to bring my Stentura in, and the mother board may be shot. Ugh.

The people at ProCat loaned me the Stylus for a realtime test because I forgot my machine. Yes, you read that right - the big dummy forgot her machine when going to a machine test.

Anyway, I liked the way it felt. The depth of stroke was nice and short. I've heard other reporters complain that the "training" of their machines took too long. I guess some machines' keys have to be set according to how you type. Sounds complex.
Marla,

How'd that happen? Did you think it was in the car? Did you remove it from the case and, boom, grabbed the case and out you went, never noticing how light it was? This has got to be a great story.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service