IMPORTANT!!! NCRA Action -- A NATIONAL Threat to STENO Court Reporting Profession -- Think Deposition Reporters Can't Be Replaced by ER/DAR? Think Again!

Please read the message below and go to this site for more information/details: http://motiontorescind.wordpress.com/

Dear Reporters:

In November of 2008, the NCRA Board of Directors voted to explore/develop a plan for the testing and certification of non-steno methods. These methods include electronic recording/digital audio recording and voicewriting.

As members of NCRA, we believe it is in contradiction to the Constitution & Bylaws of this Association and outside the scope of purpose of the Association to spend Association money and resources on certifying non-stenographic methods, especially when members of this Association, steno reporters, are losing jobs all over the country to these competing methods.

Although we understand that no actual plan for testing non-steno methods has been developed yet and is only in a discussion stage, we object to any time and/or money spent on an endeavor that we believe will be harmful to the core membership and the profession.

We understand there is a perfectly valid opposing opinion that if these alternate record-makers are working alongside stenographers, they should be held to the same standards. However, our belief is that it would be very hard, if not impossible, for NCRA to remain an advocate for the stenographic method if it were to test/certify other methods’ competency; that it would fundamentally change the Association from a trade association for verbatim stenographers to a testing agency for all makers of the record.

An analogy from the NCRA Forum was that GM wants Hondas tested equally by the NHTSA. We agree, but GM isn’t in charge of testing Hondas, and shouldn’t be (conflict of interest.) So the question is whether members want NCRA to become the independent testing authority (NHTSA).

We believe this is such a significant policy shift that it should be presented to membership to decide on, not just the board of directors.

In response to this action by the board, a group of reporters have created this Members’ Motion to Rescind Board Action, pursuant to NCRA Constitution & Bylaws, in order to have the issue debated and voted upon by the membership at the annual business meeting this year. Below you will find the actual motion, supporting documents, as well as how you and others can become a signatory if you agree.

Please understand, this motion is in no way meant to insult, harass, or annoy. We are not pointing fingers or making character assaults of any kind. What we have here is a difference of opinion. However, we truly believe that allowing the board to continue down this path would be detrimental to the careers of our membership.

Our passion is great; our motives are sincere.

You will need to attend the annual business meeting on August 6 in Washington, D.C. in order to actually vote. Online voting is not available for this purpose. However, your support as a signatory is also needed to demonstrate to those present the will of the members.

Thank you for your consideration.

*** For further reading on this issue, please visit:

NCRA Forum "Reality" Thread
depoman.com
concernedreporters.com
"Concerned Student" Blog

Views: 291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

NSRA (now called NCRA)

At this time called NCRA :)
Just a reminder that there have been a few more posts added to the "Reality" and other threads on the NCRA Forum if you wanted to check in from time to time to read them. Even if you subscribe to the thread, they won't notify you EVER time there's an additional comment made, so it's good to check in from time to time. Never know who you'll BUMP into. Actually, there are a few related threads there too that at worth reading besides "Reality."

M.A.
(Best I could do)
I think reading that "Reality" thread is going to give me a massive coronary. I need to try to stay alive, at least until the end of August!

I read on this forum
that there is a (possibly some) reporter(s) that actually is (are) in favor of certifying/testing "other" methods. I couldn't read beyond that. I just don't get it ...

(And you're doing a great job! Thanks.)
Yeah, wasn't that nice of SueLynn to bring that to everybody's attention, front and center?
When I first became a reporter (got my RPR before finishing school), it was called NSRA (National Shorthand Reporters Association). The name was changed to NCRA because "those other people" were complaining. That was back in 1981. Technically, NCRA now includes all reporters, whether they be steno, mask or electronic. But we all know, mask and electronic reporters will never be equal to steno.
I don't think this issue is about which is a better system. I believe the issue is that the core membership of NCRA/NSRA -- which currently comprises only machine writers -- wants to keep NCRA/NSRA a machine writer organization and only a machine writer organization.
That's a really good point, Judy! I must tell you, you're an excellent writer and post very, VERY important comments here, of course, but also on the Depoman thread. For those who haven't read the Depoman thread, I encourage you to do that. Soon, perhaps there'll be more posts at the NCRA Forum, but that's been kind of quiet for a while now.

M.A.
Thanks, MaryAnn. I'm still learning though. My biggest mistake has been getting off track. Pick your fight and fight only it. And I've learned from my husband that it's best to use the fewest amount of words to get your point across, otherwise you risk losing your audience.
Judy hits the nail right on the head for me -- I would love to keep the old NSRA, now NCRA, as a machine writer organization. NCRA is branching off into territory that I won't support with my dues dollars. The voice writers have their assn., the ER folks have their assn, and probably DAR has their own assn. as well. (I'm jealous of them all. Their associations seemingly aren't growing tentacles.)

Judy and M.A., -- and so many others!! -- thank you all for your eloquent posts. I have already left NCRA, but I care enough to keep abreast of this situation.

Texas and California reporter associations rock!! Any national shorthand reporters assn. should lean heavily on Texas and California for guidance on how it should be done.

Debbie Turner
Instead of trying to be an omnipotent association for all recording methods, the NCRA should focus its attention on exactly why it has been steadily (perhaps rapidly) declining in membership. Did the NCRA think for a single minute that its membership feels betrayed by its actions? How do you expect to maintain/gain membership when your very actions are a threat to your members' careers? Focus your time and energy on working FOR your membership, not against it, and regain the trust of your past and current members.

The reason I obtained my RPR in the first place was because I used to think that the NCRA further distinguished a reporter; in other words, I "thought" it was an honor. Needless to say, I no longer feel this way. Truth be told, having the RPR after my name has never gotten me a job/assignment with any firm. Sure, some firms might consider it a "bonus" if we happen to be an RPR or have any other NCRA designation, but it has never been a requirement. Are we still good reporters without certification by the NCRA? You bet! I know many excellent reporters who don't have anything to do with the NCRA.

So what exactly has the NCRA done for me? Nothing. If it has, then please remind me, should I have forgotten my manners and due gratitude. As such, if the NCRA continues its efforts to destroy my chosen profession and my livelihood, then it's all the more reason for me to have no further use/need for it.

Reporters should make ernest effort to join their state reporters associations, strengthen it, and it will fight for you, the way the CCRA and DRA have both fought LONG and HARD for our reporters here. Please don't let these efforts be for naught by allowing the NCRA to continue on its path.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service