Just curious what everyone thinks is fair to charge for travel time for jobs, especially with the price of gas today.

For a great job, average job, really short job?

For instance, I traveled for a two-day job 320 miles round trip over two days, almost 7 hours of driving time.   It was a better than average job, but tough for the money, too.  I would like to charge half the mileage, 160 miles at 50 cents a mile.  So that would be an additional $80 to me.

Just wondering what people think is fair and the usual and customary?

Views: 645

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should call the law firm (attorney secretary) who scheduled you.  Ask her what the mileage rate for their attorneys is, and use that amount.  They won't squabble at that.  The big law firms (insurance defense) have a standard mileage rate they use.

My only problem with charging for mileage is maybe next time they'll just call a reporter local to that area.

I think the current going IRS rate is 50 cents or better a mile is why I used that.

But in this case, I don't think they could so easily get a closer reporter.  At least not a really good one who was

also used to working with them.  But good point to keep in mind.  It was a tough job.

The mileage should compensate you for your time driving and the wear and tear on your car, not just gas.
I usually work out that kind of stuff beforehand. And for that kind of mileage, I usually go with the federal and do door-to-door.
I'm not aware of a fair, usual and customary as far as travel charges.  I've been reporting now for 11 years, and no firm has ever paid for travel except in extenuating circumstances and the firm specifically offers to cover mileage, hotel, etc., for jobs that would be impossible to cover otherwise.  Just my opinion, but as independent contractors, it is ultimately our decision to travel for work, and we must bear the expense unless otherwise negotiated with the firm beforehand.  I imagine it might not go over well to bring up the fee you want to charge for mileage after the fact.

I agree with Quyen.  You really should have said something before accepting the job.   Do you really want to risk losing a client over charging a mileage fee of $80?   If it was an easy job, would you still be thinking of charging a mileage fee?  (just playing Devil's Advocate here) .

That being said, videographers charge for their travel time so why shouldn't we?  

I don't know where you live, but in the SF Bay Area we don't charge for mileage or parking.  It's just the cost of doing business.  I know in Southern California the reporting firm reimburses for parking.    

Kellie, some SF Bay Area firms do reimburse for parking.

My bfffffffff ever in grade school spells her name the same way, K-e-l-l-i-e.  :)

I traveled for a two-day job 320 miles round trip over two days, almost 7 hours of driving time.

Do you really want to risk losing a client over charging a mileage fee of $80?  

Per these comments, I am going to give my thoughts. 

They didn't just pick you out of the blue.  I was a legal assistant for many years, and had to schedule reporters. 

They either hired you because (a) the attorney told the secretary who to call  (by name); or you you were referred by someone. 

I assure you all, in a very expensive litigation matter, the attorney nor the insurance company, are going to have a problem with paying the reporter for mileage.  It would be a good safeguard to send an e-mail to the attorney to confirm the deposition, the place - perefect time to remind them of the distance and you would like to know their mileage rates; or after the fact, call the secretary, and ask her to check with the insurance company to be sure it is okay to bill for mileage.

I can assure you, the attorney billed the insurance company for his mileage.

Kerry,

Several firms around here have a policy of NOT charging for the first 100 miles (figuring their normal coverage area is a 50-mile radius of the city, so a round trip would 100 miles) but then they charge for the mileage over and above 100.  So in your case, following that rationale, you would charge for 220 miles at the current mileage rate (and I just looked - the current IRS mileage rate is 55.5 cents/mile).

I think if I were you, I probably would not charge this time since it wasn't discussed ahead of time with the client.  However, I would take this as a "lessons learned" sort of situation and from here on out establish a policy about mileage.

Just some food for thought.

Chuck

When did the mileage rate go up to 55.5?  I've been charging .51 a mile.  I'll take the extra pennies!  I have a mileage chart that starts from the downtown courthouse.  Lots of reporters charge starting from their home.  I've seen an issue with that, in that the atty got 2 reporters, 2 different days.  One lived closer to the depo location, so she charged less mileage than did the other reporter, who lived further away.  The atty complained and said to only send the closest reporter.  But he was also a jerk.  I do charge mileage and sometimes I might discount the first 50 miles, depending on the length of the job, but try to get that agreement worked out before I take the job.  I've had some cheapies ask if I charge mileage and when I say yes, they just say thank you.  I'm worth it.  Attorneys charge mileage, videographers charge mileage, witnesses may charge mileage. 

We are not limited by what is allowable by the IRS on mileage.  I took the depo of an expert last week.  His consulting firm charges $1.00 per mile.

When it comes to location, I think charging mileage from the office address (if local agency) is fair.  Sometimes it works out better for the reporter in that it is more than the actual miles driven--sometimes it's less. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service