I've been fortunate to get through speed classes relatively quickly since I started school (not quick enough by my own standards, of course), and I'm currently a few tests away from qualifiers.
According to school policy, I can't take qualifiers for credit until I finish all my academics, which I'm planning to do this fall. I'm wondering whether I should try to get into qualifiers and see if I can make it to the March 09 CSR or just wait it out until July, so I have more time to attain the necessary speed and accuracy.
It's important to me to feel like I can do the job well once I'm out there, so I don't want to rush only to find I'm not ready. But I also need to work ASAP.
I'm sure an obvious answer might be to see how I progress through speeds, but if I'm going to go for it, I have to try to get the okay pretty soon.
Anyone have any suggestions?

~Stephanie
AKA
Squeaky Wheel

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would advise you to move ahead by taking the CSR as quickly as possible. Even if you don't pass, you will have had an invaluable learning experience.
My advice is to sign up for the November RPR. If you pass all three legs, sign up for the written portion. If you pass everything, that qualifies you to take the CA CSR.

Guess before expending the money for the test you should take a couple of the RPR tapes to see how you're doing with the 225 Q & A. As fast as you're going through the program, I think you're going to be getting them by November.

Great luck to you!! You're AMAZING!!

Tami
That's very kind of you to say. It's difficult to gauge where I'll be by November, but I'd love to take the March CSR if I'm ready.
Obviously, I want to work as soon as possible, but I want to know what I'm doing too. I don't know how things will work out, but I signed up for all the classes to try to finish this year. I have ten days to think that move over, and I'm trying to meet with my teachers in the meantime to see if there's any way I can get into qualifiers in time. Doesn't look too good right now. I'll keep you posted though.

Thanks again,
Stephanie
Stephanie,

I really think you should trust your teachers on this one. I really think they'll do what's best for you. I actually talked to one of your teachers this past week at the convention, and my son's situation came up, which is similar to yours as far as completing speed well ahead of academics, and I truly think they'll do what's best for you. I have to say it's a bit frustrating having him qualified and not being able to take the CSR, but in the long run I really do think it's okay that that's how the chips have fallen.

(In case I've confused anybody reading this, my son does not go to the same school as Stephanie.)

I still think if you're ready, though, you should take the RPR in November. See how you feel two days before the signup deadline and factor in the progress you've been making. Oh, and I know you have to factor in the financial aspect, too.

To me I look at it like this. Once you pass the RPR, it puts you one step closer to the CRR or RMR, which puts you one step closer to making bonus money AND having the agencies fighting over you. I know in court it means a great deal.

With your skills you could be busting out another advanced certificate test right around the corner.
Thanks, I'll keep your suggestions in mind. I know I'd like to get the RPR right away, and as soon as I do, I'm going to start working toward the CRR. . . and someday, the RMR. . .and the RDR . . .not even a year in, and I'm already a "steno geek," as my husband calls it.
As for my teachers, I definitely trust their judgment. I've spoken with them briefly about what courses I should take and when, but at the time, I had accepted that I probably couldn't qualify by March. Now, I'd like to try if it's a possibility, but even if it's not, I'm sure I'll be a more solid writer in July.
I'll see what they suggest.

Thanks,
Stephanie
Did you get to hear Mark K. speak at your school this past week??

How special is that!!!
No, I had jury duty! I was really sorry I missed it though. But I'm sure it was very special for everyone who was able to go. He actually signed a dictionary for a student who took the CSR on Friday, along with several other speed writers competing at the convention. I thought that was really cool.
I actually signed it, too. I've been mentoring that particular student. We met at the NCRA convention in Texas last year. She's a doll! Sounds like she passed it to me. WOO-HOO!
I didn't know that. Well, I'm sure she appreciated it.
I've just talked to her a few times myself, but she's a really nice person. We're all hoping to hear she passed. Keep me informed if you hear anything. I'll do the same!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service