Has anyone been successful with Linda Bland's Court Reporting at Home program? I am thinking about doing this but I'd like to know about others' experiences first. I'd especially like to know if anyone has gone on to have a career afterward.

Thanks.

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Garnet,
I have the CRAH program and have been working on it for a couple of years. The theory portion is clear and easy to follow. I did it while working full-time, so it took me about a year to finish theory, but it doesn't have to take that long. As you probably know, it is self-paced, so there's no pressure. I am now into speed-building and up to about 100 wpm using the dictation material. The on-line support is excellent, I have to say. They are timely in their responses to your questions and thorough. Working through speed-building has been daunting for me although I have seen progress, starting at 60 wpm. I have nothing to compare the program with because there are no court reporting schools near me. I was concerned about working with the same dictations over and over again feeling that I may only be learning that material and nothing else. However, as they explained to me, what you are really doing when you are doing repetitious material is solidifying those particular theory concepts which you can then apply to any word using that same concept. I haven't gotten far enough in my speeds to tell you if the program is successful but the mere fact that I have gotten faster and more accurate says something. The downside of this program is simply that you have to discipline yourself to do it on your own. I am one who does better in a classroom and if I had the opportunity, I would go that route, but I don't. Another plus is that it includes the CAT software which, and this I don't agree with, they don't want to send to you until you're up in your 180's. I requested it now, which they balked at but sent to me. They feel that learning CAT will interfere with your speed-building. That was a choice I wanted left to me, not them. So that's my two cents. Their website has some success stories posted of course, and one could be motivated from that. Generally, I think any CR program, whether it is distance learning, at-home or in the classroom has a fairly high drop-out rate because of the sheer pressure and high skill-level required. What we are attempting to learn is just plain hard. Overall, I would say it's a good program. Again, self-discipline and practice is the number one factor in success. I am still learning this! -Robin
Thank you, Robin! I really appreciate your detailed response and it will definitely help with my decision. It sounds like you are doing well! Good luck with everything.

I have read all of the testimonials on Linda's website also but I wanted to actually "speak" to someone about it and hear the positive and negative. :)

If anyone else has experience with this, please share. Thanks!
Robin,

Off topic, but I just wanted to tell you I totally agree with your school about not introducing CAT at your speed. I feel too many students are spending way too much time worrying about their RT when I think all their energy should be devoted to speedbuilding and academics.

From the little I know about your school, I think they are teaching one of the better theories on the market, so my advice is to just be patient. The CAT will fall right into place.
I have also read your GREAT comments re: Mark Kislingbury's Seminars. Taking into consideration your viewpoints about Mark's theory and the CRAH program's theory, do they work together in so far as learning the basic writing techniques and the utlizing Mark's speed techniques to jump start you speed building in an efficient way. I ask because I am a returning student (finished 225 yet never took the csr cuz I pursued law school). I was away from court reporting for 5 years and now I need to really jumpstart my discipline. I am at 160-200 and need to get back on track especially due to the economy. Anywho, I am disciplined enough to do an at home program. I just want it to get me where I need to be; which is Real time ready and fast.... Any thoughts.
Hi, Robin. I am also a student with CRAH. I was wondering what software they use since I do not have mine yet. I am trying to pass 120 Q&A. I haven't been set up on a regimen to include JC & Lit, which I do worry aobut as well as not using any software. Do they include and certain things in the dictionary which are taught in the program? I'm not sure if I am making any sense since I have no experience with software whatsoever. s.

Tracy
Love it. I finished finished theory within a year (had my reporter friend give me more briefs than she had). However, did not like the speedbuilding part. I wanted to get graded, etc., so now I'm with SimplySteno, and I love it. I can progress better and it's more structured for me and I'm passing tests.....Sherry
Hi, Sherry. I am also a student with CRAH. I am trying to pass 120 Q&A and having a lot of trouble. I am strongly considering SimplySteno. It sounds like you are having success with it? When you were in CRAH speed building were you learning Lit, JC and Q&A all at the same time? I am only set up to be practing Q&A at this time.
Hi, Tracy. Yes, you do Q&A, Lit and JC, as well as academics. You also have finger drills, etc. Attached is a sample of the program from SimplySteno so you can see what they do.
Attachments:
Thanks for your help, Sherry!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service