Hey everyone!

Just thought I'd get some thoughts from everyone on test anxiety. After reading up about it online (mainly stenolife.com), I've gotten a couple of ideas of how to cope with it. But I wanted to see what everyone else does, if anything. Today in testing, I was so close to getting a test but I totally started sweating and shaking. It was almost humorous. I had to talk myself into calming down a bit. :) I was able to pass one test, which was great. But the one I didn't was the one I really got shaky in. Thoughts?

Dana

Views: 30

Replies to This Discussion

Dana, I used to be the same way. What speeds are you working on? After I passed all my 140/160s and went on to 180/200, those test anxiety nerves simply went away. I think by that time, we are old battle horses at testing! One thing I learned from the WONDERFUL Margie Wakemen Wells, was that adrenaline and oxygen cannot co-exist at the same time in the same places in our system and it's adrenaline that is making us shake and sweat, but you can release the adrenaline in seconds by doing some very deep belly breathing right before and during your test and you WILL notice a considerable difference in the shakes and sweating, I promise! So next time, try that, breathe deeply all the way into your belly and out right before the test and post a note for yourself to remind yourself to also breathe during the test and watch what happens! :)
Thanks for the breathing idea! I hadn't heard it put that way - about the oxygen and adrenaline co-existing. I'll for sure have to try that. I'm currently working at 180. I came SO close to passing two tests today but I think my hands shaking got the better of me. I'm definitely going to try the deep breathing next time!!! I'll let you know if it helps!
Hello Dana. Oh, those test shakes! You CAN overcome them and move forward to pass the tests you are prepared to pass. To be prepared to pass a test, I recommend consistently passing your lower speed class tests with a 1/2 error rate than the maximum allowed and at least one speed test of your next higher class. It's not impossible. Next time you're sitting in a warm up class, take notice of your posture because your breathing is probably relaxed. Remember to sit like that at a test to repeat those same breathing techniques. When breathing, inhale through your nose and exhale out your mouth w/the tip of your tongue resting on the roof of your mouth just behind your front teeth. This technique helps relax your jaw and face and promotes smooth, uninterrupted breathing. Don't bend at the waist. Keep your back straight but relaxed. If you have a problem with throat dryness, keep a piece of gum under your tongue. Do you use a point of focus during tests? If not, then start finding a part of the room (nearest but not on the speaker) to focus your vision on. I always looked at the center of the speaker's area whether it was on the light board or one of the speaker signs. I can't stress enough the power of continued, relaxed breathing. It feeds your brain and keeps you clear and calm, no joke. I also found it helpful taking 1/2 to 1 Xanax before my tests. With the help and guidance of my doctor, I realized my shaking and test anxiety was out of control, and I have not regretted taking it since. It got me through two state CSRs (CA and NV.) I first tested taking it in lower speed classes and found it most helpful. It cleared my mind from the anxiety bug long enough to regain my control of the machine and utilize all my writing skills, but again I only recommend using it through the guidance of your doctor. Lastly, keep this thought in your mind when testing: You are the only person there and the speaker(s) is there for you and only you. Nothing else matters. Relax your arms and hands should be quiet on the keys. Keep breathing. Don't stop breathing, ever. On test days wear something you feel relaxed in. I took the CSR in my PJs and slippers and no bra, no kidding. I was that relaxed. Keep me informed on your progress. Don't give up. Diane Hickman, CSR, CCR (former night student)
Thanks Diane! I appreciate your advice. Honestly, I seriously thought about going to my doctor for the Xanax. I may even still do that. I have actually taken it for flying (I'm such a chicken). I have noticed, since I posted my first message on here about the test anxiety, that practicing at a full speed above what I'm attempting to pass is helping. A few other students and myself have really been pushing ourselves by doing that. I've noticed that my speed doesn't seem as intimidating when I do that. But I still do get the shakes pretty bad. I have worked on the breathing and actually focusing on relaxing myself when I start to get shaky, and that does tend to help a little. I'll keep you posted on what happens next! I think since I first posted this message, I passed my last 160. Now it's just a matter of getting a handle on those 180s. :P
Hi Dana. Speaking from personal experience, anxiety issues vary from person to person. Some people can take a test with no problems, but have the jitters in the typing section. Others have no problems in either area whatsoever. You could be the fastest writer on earth, but anxiety will humble you hands down every time. Ask your dr about Xanax (geesh, I sound like a commercial, hehe.) But taking it made a world of difference for me. Congrats on your last 160!!!! Yah!!! That is a milestone. Since you now have the automatic writing skills, review your theory and keep up the hardcopy practice. I'm excited for you...Diane
Well, Dana, my test jitters have never gone away. I can be an absolute freak on a test. I'm pretty good at passing tests, though. I've passed the CA CSR, RPR (twice), the CRR, the RMR all on my first attempt, and even was lucky enough to pass the CA speed contest (4th place) the first and only time I took it, and a couple NCRA qualifiers. Took me a second time to pass those, though. (I had prepared for the NCRA speed contest the first time off of RMR tapes -- not above goal speed.)

Why do I think I've been pretty successful??

Goes back to exactly what you said you've found success with. I practiced well over my goal speed. I was overly prepared for all those tests. Even though I felt I was about to pass out and had difficulty writing my name on the envelope at the conclusion of these tests, I still nailed them because of having excess speed.

Try two full speeds above your goal speed. Try to get your hands down for a stroke every word. Stay on the speaker. Try everything you can not to drop. Even if your hands are going down on the right side of the keyboard when they should be going down on the left, keep trying to go stroke for stroke. (Do not look at your notes!)

Will it be the absolute sloppiest you've ever written in your life????

Yes. No doubt.

***By the way, I don't believe you can shatter your notes. I think when you drop down to the speed you already totally passed, your clean notes will be there***

Then drop down a notch, one step above your goal speed, what you've been working on. Bet it's going to seem easier. Do the same thing. Stroke for stroke. Sometimes I can feel the steam coming out of my ears. :)

When you think you've had enough, drop down once again to goal speed. End on a positive note. Do this at least six days a week. Bet you'll see results in no time.

A couple things to keep in mind. With the longer theories out today, your hands can only go so fast. Even with a long theory, though, you can write 200 plus. If you start slowly incorporating a shorter writing style, this will also build speed -- and save your body in the long run.

I have always written pretty short, but since adopting a shorter writing style myself the past couple of years -- thanks to Mark Kislingbury and his wonderful products/philosophy -- I'm writing faster than ever with a lot less effort.

I wish you the best, Dana. This is truly in my opinion the greatest profession. I thank God every day for sending me on this wonderful journey. It's been a remarkable trip.

Let me know how you're getting along. I think CR students are amazing and don't think there's ever been one that I haven't learned from.

I wish you the best!!

Tami
Thanks, Tami for the advice! I have a question for you on Mark Kislingbury's theory - at what point did you begin to adopt his theory? I have heard a lot of good things about it, and I'll admit even thought about getting some of his stuff, but I'm not sure whether that's a good idea at this point, or not. I don't know if it would slow me down, in other words, to adopt something new right now. I'd just like your opinion on that.

Also, I COMPLETELY agree on the practicing 1-2 speeds above goal speed, as well as agree about the notes being messy on the faster speeds, but being clean on the goal speed or even a speed slower. I keep telling myself not to get down if I write messy at the faster speeds, because I KNOW I can write what I'm writing, even if it is at a slower speed that I can write it clean. That's reassuring because sometimes I think, "What's wrong with me? Why can't I write this?" Well, I've realized that I CAN write it. I just can't write it fast enough. LOL But I know I'll get there. I try to tell some of the other students at the lower speeds in our classes that if they're working at 140 and that seems fast, yet they can write at 100 and it seems slow, surely one day 140 will sound slow, etc.

Another question I have for you - how long did it take you to graduate? You know us students, we love to know how long it took someone to get out.

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments. That is truely amazing and wonderful to hear. I started out in CA in school part-time, then moved to SC. We don't have a test like CA requires, but I am aware of how difficult the CA state exams are.

Again, thanks for the advice. I think collecting different bits from different people is important, because there are many different practicing techniques out there and it's good to try all of them to see what works best for each individual!

Dana
I starting adopting his theory in about my 25th year of reporting. :)

I actually taught my son the theory. Wasn't real keen on the theories in CA, so I decided to teach him Mark Kislingbury's theory right out of the chute. My son has kicked butt on it.

He came to my office every lunch hour and a half for three months straight, at which point he moved away and attended a JC about an hour away (two with traffic). He passed the theory test at the school (60 wpm) upon enrolling, so he received credit for going to "Mom Theory." His first semester he would come home a couple times a week, and we finished the lessons we had either not tackled and/or reviewed the ones that weren't cemented in concrete yet.

When do I think you should start incorporating a shorter writing style and/or new writing principles??

My opinion is after you know your own theory very solidly. If you're working towards qualifiers and think you'll be getting out of the program soon, I don't think that's the time to start incorporating new concepts either.

I don't necessarily agree with learning the 1,000 most common words, as referred to in another thread. Mark Kislingbury's theory book has that section, too, and I went through and highlighted the ones I thought would be beneficial for me.

I put a lot more emphasis on changing my longer prefix/suffix strokes by incorporating them into the initial stroke. I had learned a theory that had me coming back for basic endings, like -mp, -mple, -nch, -rch, -ngle. There are too many to mention here.

Also, I always loved phrasing, but MK's book made me go to a phrasing level that has made life so much easier.

He addresses things such as tucking letters, -G for -ing, -TD for -ded (landed, LANTD), tuckng the -V, and on and on.

I still think the best place to start is incorporating the inflected endings into your initial stroke (-s, -ing, -ed). Most students nowadays want to come back for a second stroke, which is not necessary at all. If a word ends in -T, all you got to do is hit the -S with it for the plural (cats, KATS).

My advice is figure out a new concept that gives you the most bang for your buck. Don't try to take on too many at once. Start slow. You usually do take a baby step back, but then you take two giant leaps forward.

I think since you're working on 180s it's still a good time to incorporate a few shorter writing principles. It might be what gets you over the top. If you're writing a long theory, you already have the hand speed needed to graduate. You just need to write shorter.

You asked how long I went to school. I was one of those "gifted" students who did it in two years. My definition of "gifted" is being the last one in the lab every day of the week. I worked very hard for the "gifted" label and at times resented it. My son feels the same way. He's worked extremely hard. Nothing seems to take the place of hard work and dedication. :)

Thanks for the congrats. I really wasn't searching for any praise. I just wanted to make it clear that you can be a horrible test taker and still pass tests. I'm living proof. I really do think I'm just horrible at it, but I've always had the extra speed needed to pass those tests.

Oh, and I lied. I aced the machine portion of the RMR the first time but had to go back two more times to pass the written portion. What a dummy! I had been out of school 18 years when I took it and was totally rusty academically.

Good luck, Dana!

Happy writing short!!

Tami
Thanks again for the input, Tami. I appreciate it. It's always helpful in this field to hear of different opinions and styles. Sometimes that can make it confusing, but I always like to hear how others do it, or how others made it, etc. I may take a look at MKs theory to see if there are any ways I can incorporate it in to what I already do. I try to tuck endings as much as possible. Takes practice, but what doesn't in this field? :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service