I have been using DigitalCat student for three years, learning and building my speed.  All this time I was doing substitute teaching.

I was offered work on Wednesday (in the afternoon).  I called Stenovations to update to professional.  Apparently i called Thursday.  I said in an email that I called them Wednesday.  They said I violated their user agreement by using their software in a professional work.  The phone call didn't go well and he thinks I am intentionally lying and intentionally violating their user agreement.  They won't want me as a customer. 

Views: 1122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Obviously, in our call, there was something about me he didn't like.  That's all I can think.

I checked my emails.  I did request professional version on Wednesday. 

Guess it's all in how you define "student," huh?  Update us on everything on this one, Mary Jo.

M.A.

That was an absolutely 20 minute ugly phone call.  They threw away about $2,500 from the money they would have got from me.

Do you think it would help to talk to his supervisor?  You will have to start all over learning a new software.  I have heard that once you learn one software it is pretty easy to learn another brand of software.

That was the Vice President who called me.

I unfortunately had one of those same phone calls with that company over their writer.  I'm pretty sure I know who you talked to.  I, too, decided after the ugliness to not do business with them -- ever.

The gist of the conversation was (in his wording) i was  a liar, saying I called Wednesday (which I did in email) and not Thursday just proves I am lying and that I don't care, I used thousands of dollars (yes, thousands of dollars) of software for free, I pirated their software, do I know the call is being recorded, they are going to check my computer to see what transcripts I made, and the type of person that I am they don't want to do business with me, I don't even want to talk to you on the phone,  and they could prosecute me. 

I chuckled a little and told him to go for it.  (Needless to say my little celebration of getting work was short lived).

Okay, so you said you got in touch with them on Wednesday, via email, to upgrade to professional license.  You have a student license.  Did you take a job before speaking with them?  Did you email and no response and then took the job?  Were you going to take a job but had not yet and then contacted them and the sh*t hit it?  Are they upset not because of a job you did or didn't take but because you are a substitute teacher and are (may be) using the system in that capacity and that's a no-no (I don't know if no-no; I am not familiar with DigitalCAT program guidelines)?  Just some holes here, for me.  They, obviously, sincerely believe there has been an infraction, not just Mr. VP having a tough day and flying off the handle (although lots of room for miscommunication!).

I think it's a pattern and perhaps not so obvious at all, Amanda.  That is just my opinion from my own experience.

Yes, I agree with Amanda.  If you had the student version and you had paid for it and you were not working as a court reporter, why would there be an issue?

i started looking for work about six months ago.  I had just got to a level where I felt I was competent.  I didn't update to professional because I didn't get a job.  It doesn't make sense to buy software, start paying for it, if you can't use it.  I was offered work on Wednesday for a 3:00 p.m. depo.  I got home at 7:00, sent them an email told them I was ready to go to professional, do they need a credit card.  I got a response to call X at a number X.  Which I did.  got my activation code for professional, which i popped into what I already had.  As far as I knew it was basically the same software.  I did a sample page. It came out student.  I called them.  They told me i was supposed to go their website, to a certain spot, then type the activation in there.

Because I am using a Stenoram II, what i did Wednesday I downloaded.  Stenoram does not have memory.  Once you turn it off, it's all gone.  I downloaded the 20 page depo.  I emailed them for professional version.  DigitalCat does not have a license, it's free.   I had told them several times as soon as I got a job I would be downloaded to professional.

I have hardly used their software, barely got into it.  I learned how to write to CAT, how build my dictionary to about 40,000 words.  Learned how to use CAT.  That's what I used it for.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service