Are you still using a tape recorder? You know those funny cassette things that the videographer sometimes hands you at the end of a depo?

Why not update to a digital recorder.

I personally have an Olympus. But it's old. I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer digital Olympus. What are you guys using?

Views: 172

Replies to This Discussion

I just bought mine this very minute from Amazon.com. I got the Olympus DS-40 for $94.43. I am able to purchase the 40 instead of the 60 since I have a 250G b/u hard drive w/me on all jobs, and I'll just dump the wave file onto that. I'm looking at a new steno machine, bought 2 Acer netbooks tonight, going to buy Stenocast. OMG, I'm an online shop-aholic!!
I did too, only I wanted the DS-61. No one had it for Monday delivery, and the stores in SD didn't have it in stock. I ended up with the DS-40 from Fry's, only I paid $127 ON SALE! LOL! I got robbed! jk I need it for my job starting Tuesday, so I had to get something to get the ball rolling for these horrific video jobs I'm on -- room full of people who just LOVE to mumble!
Thanks again for the very useful information, Allison! I worked on transcripts/deadlines all weekend, but I'm hoping today I have some time to test the waters with the DS-40. Hubby put the time/date info in for me, and then we tested while having lunch, seeing it it would record our conversation. So far so good! I haven't loaded the software to test the sound quality on the computer, and my main concern for this week is to have a GOOD backup, even if I have the videographer's feed. I'm also going to test the PCM compression levels you suggested. I'll post on my progress later and let you know how it's working out. I'm sure I'll have questions! Stay tuned!
Audrey
Okay! I'm ASKING! ;-)

I have a couple questions. Has anyone converted the WMA files into WAV files and applied them (sync) with Eclipse ECL files? If so, HOW? The help pages in the DSS player indicate you can convert or download to WAV files, but so far I haven't figured out how to -- not even sure if it will. I've tried it a couple of different ways, even changed my settings to "convert to WAV" during download, but it's still downloading the files from the player to my PC as a WMA file. I know I can convert WMA files to WAV files through a software conversion program (many online.. free), but just wondered if anyone is doing this and how they're doing so.
I've done it several times.

If you're using the DSS player that should have come w/your digital recorder, under file, there's a dropdown menu that has convert to WAV file. When you click on that, a browse for folder window pops up. Find the folder you want the wav file to end up in, wherever your ecl file is.

After you say okay. All you have to do is then go to the folder and change the name of your new wav file to match the name of the ecl folder. When you go to the folder with the new wav file, the wav file will probably have the same name as the dss file unless you named it something else when you saved it.
Yup. Tried that, but my dropdown menu doesn't give me that option. In other words, the words "convert to WAV" are in light text, can't click on it as an option. I tried highlighting the file, right clicking -- nuthin. I've read the online help pages, but my DSS player isn't "playing" nicely. I'll keep trying.

Thanks, ladies!
I just loaded my DS40 CD onto my laptop. Double click on program icon to get into your DSS Player program. Once there, click on Tools then Options from the toolbar up top. I'm going to drop the picture that pops up in here. Make sure you have the wave conversion box checked. You may want to check the Auto Download box, or not. Since this DVR is going to be used only for depo work, it's not a problem to have the Wave file box checked.
I hope this helps:D
Attachments:
April, I'm pretty sure this is what I am already doing. (I haven't played with it since last week so my memory is a bit vague). I tried that -- even deleted the WMA files from my PC and tried downloading again with WAV file checked through this step above. It seemed to work on one file....but not others. Turned it into a WAV.WMA file (??) (looks just like that in the file extension) Then I tried the right-click step and went to properties and changed the name, and I think it converted to WAV but then couldn't get it to sync with my Eclipse file. Even had Eclipse tech support on the phone ... no luck.

Are you on Eclipse? If so, are you able to sync your file from the Olympus recorder to your transcripts? That's my ultimate goal here.... so far just sending the WMA file to scopists to listen to where needed, but sure would be nice to sync to WAV. (?) Any input is always greatly appreicated! Meantime, I'll keep messin' around with it and trying to get things to work. I'll post if I am at all successful at it! LOL
Audrey, I haven't downloaded any file from the DVR yet. Just set up the program yesterday. I'll be using it this week and let you know how it goes . . .
Thanks, April! I'll keep futz'n with it too and post any forward movement I may happen upon! By the way, one of my scopists e-mailed me to say she is PREFERRING the audio file of the DSS player -- said it's the best she's ever heard in audio quality! She's running my WMA file through .. "X-cribe"?? and playing it along as she scopes my work. Said it wasn't difficult to set up at all. I played the files through my DSS Player and listened through my Bose speakers ... INCREDIBLE quality! Why can't it record like that onto the PC???? ARGH! One giant leap forward, one baby step backwards!
Allison, I'm WAY happy (not to be confused with WAV happy) about this recorder! You were so right -- it picks up everything in all the right ways!

No worries about the conversion stuff. Nothing for me is ever "plug-and-play" as it's supposed to be, so I'll keep trying different things. I'll post here if I find something worthy of sharing in the way of syncing. Eclipse suggested loading different drivers for my Sony laptop Realtec sound cards -- might help with some of my problems. Heck, it it doesn't get better, I'll probably use this Sony as my extra laptop and go get another PC known for better sound quality. For now, having the DS-40 is a GREAT backup! Thanks again!
Excellent news/update, Allison! Thanks so much! I haven't played with it much other than recording every job and using it as backup! AWESOME! I also learned that once you plug in the USB, it will override your old WMA files! Eeeek! So I created a subfolder and named it something different, then I drag/drop the WMA there just in case I need it. After the job has been turned in, I delete the WMA from my hard drive. You can also just "rename" the WMA so that you don't run into that problem.

I also purchased a rechargeable battery pack from Radio Shack ($35) -- the quick-charge 30 minutes. It came with 4 AAA and 4 AA rechargeable batteries. I toss it all in a small grey fabric pouch -- keep it next to the laptop. If I see the battery levels getting low, I change them out during a break. ;-)

Audrey

Quick question: Anyone know how to TIMESTAMP the WMA through the digital recorder? I set the date and time, but I can't find anything about setting timestamps. Eclipse says if the file is timestamped, it may sync with the ECL file. Just trying new things.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service