Are you still using a tape recorder? You know those funny cassette things that the videographer sometimes hands you at the end of a depo?

Why not update to a digital recorder.

I personally have an Olympus. But it's old. I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer digital Olympus. What are you guys using?

Views: 172

Replies to This Discussion

Okay. Let me see if I can recall what I did. I think I was in a depo, heard the recorder beeping to indicate "file full" (or something like that). So I plugged in the USB cable to my laptop during a break, fully intending to transfer some WMA files over to the laptop, freeing up some space on the recorder. When I did that, it wiped out the previous WMA files with the same names, never giving me a warning sign to indicate "yes/no" override existing file. When I went back to try to find the original WMA files "DS0005" (or whatever the label was), it was there, but it was the NEW DS0005" file from this week, not last week. Hope that makes sense. ;-/
Hmmm. Clearly, I'm going to have to play around with it and see if it does this again, only I'll use fake (testing-testing) WMA files, not real ones, just in case! I have been copy/pasting your text into a DSS cheat-sheet, hoping to use that to help guide me in those moments I'm testing things with the recorder. I'll report back once I've had some time to mess around with the file transfers again. Thanks soooooo much! I think I signed up as a "user" on the Olympus site for digital recorders, so maybe I'll play around out there too and see what I can find out.

Audrey
Allison, when you use yours during depo, do you have it connected w/USB cord or just the batteries? I know when you want to download the file you use the USB cord.

What are your Eclipse keys you use for the easy functions?

I'm in the middle of a depo right now -- had a quick break. Don't mean to sound terse:D

Thanks a bunch.
Thanks so much for your help, Allison. You answered everything:)
Hi all!

Quick update:

I called Sony tech support and had them uninstall and then reinstall a new driver for the sound card on my laptop. My audio now sounds *almost* as good as the Olympus digital recorder -- not kidding! Outstanding!

As a follow-up to the deleting files when downloading from the recorder to the laptop, I haven't had that problem at all now. Allison, you were right (as usual)! The recorder gives the WMA file a number, such as -00012, -00013, etc., and they don't cancel out each other when downloading. Not sure what I did the first couple of times to override the files, but it's not doing it any longer, so I've clearly figured something out (accidentally)! ;-)

Thanks again!

Audrey
I just bought a Marantz digital recorder from martelelectronics.com. You can record wav files on it and then insert the wav files into Eclipse!! I have used it to record in court for 2 days now and the sound is amazing. I use my ear buds to listen to the sound as we were going along in court and I didnt' hear all the background noise that I used to hear. The background noise not being heard could be the new microphone I bought there, too, though. I also bought the Martel Hi Gain Mic for $149. (I think Stenograph sells this mic, too.) My recordings on the Marantz came out loud and clear. They have a package for court reporters that includes the recorder and a foot pedal that hooks up to it so you can transcribe your recordings right from the digital recorder (no computer needed) or you can just buy the recorder and get a free conference grabber mic with it. Hope this helps with some info!
P.S. My recorder before this one was an expensive Olympus. The Marantz puts the Olympus to shame, in my opinion.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service