My all time favorite is Stephen King. I have three quarters of his books in hard cover. But I joined a local book club in 2003, as I wanted to broaden my reading scope. I have a bunch that we have read that I liked:

9. "The Time Traveler's Wife", by Audrey Niffenegger.
13. The Other Boyeln Girl, by Phillipa Gregory
14. "THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES", by Sue Monk
16. "THE KITE RUNNER" by Khaled Hosseini. Mar 05
17. by Mark Hadden and is called "The curious incident of the dog in the night time".
18. ANGRY HOUSEWIVES EATING BON BONS by Lorna Landvik
22. "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult.
23. The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant.
24. Middlesex: A Novel (I did not like this, but others have...so sharing it)
27. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Feb 06
28. "Marley and Me" by John Grogan
29. "Night" by Elie Wiesel
31. 1000 White Women
32. March
33. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger Aug 06
35. Memory Keeper's Daughter
37. Water for Elephants by Sarah Gruen
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

The Glass Castle
49. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hoseseni

I also liked: Nineteen Minutes, Twilight, The Magic Hour, but were not for bookclub.

50. Pillars of the Earth
51. The Thirteenth Tale

Views: 90

Replies to This Discussion

Rhoda,

Wow, I thought I've been reading quite a bit these last couple of years - you're inspiring me to get a move on. Of all those books you've listed, I've read the following. Saying a book is good is such an individual thing.
Yes - Liked:
17. by Mark Hadden and is called "The curious incident of the dog in the night time".
The Glass Castle
51. The Thirteenth Tale

No - Disliked:
The Other Boyeln Girl, by Phillipa Gregory
33. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger Aug 06

More later from Jenny - who is reading two books right now along with Quicken for Dummies!
I think it is very 'cool,' in a sense, how different everyone is about a book! I just LOVED Time Traveler's Wife, and a lady at bookclub just did NOT like it, lol. I love discussing books at our club, as I am not good 'explaining' what it was that got me.

I had asked for months for A Prayer for Owen Meany to be picked at our club. We picked it; I was SO excited; and HATED it, lol. Never finished...just did not like it. Mind you, I like the author and had read World According to Garp and Hotel New Hampshire, so was looking forward to this book. It just did not 'capture' me. Maybe I should put up what I didn't like also?? LOL.

Glass Castle was incredible! Nineteen Minutes is a very incredible one too. I got a lot out of that book, and still think about it, even though it has been a few months since I read it.

Can't wait to see what you have read!
Rho
Hi, Rho:

Ooooohh, I'm with you on Time Travelers Wife. I LOVED that book. There's another, similar, book I picked up in an airport bookshop about three years ago. I adored that book, too, and I've been trying to think of the name/author ever since. When I finished reading it, I gave it to my SO, who took it on a trip and lost it. I've wanted to recommend it to others, but since I can't remember name or author, no joy.

The plot was about this fellow who was born in rural Ireland in the 1600s (or thereabouts). Through a series of events, he is granted immortality, but with a catch. At the time he becomes immortal, he is living on what in the future would become Manhattan Island, New York City. Because he was born on an island, part of his immortality "gift" is that he must remain on an island, Manhattan, and never leave, or he will die. The book then follows him through his various lives and concludes just after the events of 9/11. I always love well-written historical dramas, so I found this one particularly fascinating because of the picture it drew of New York as it developed from marshy pasture into the metropolis we all know today.

I wish I could remember the title. For some reason, I think it had something to do with a brick :)

Debi
That sounds quite cool!! I will post it at my other literary club and ask my book club! Let's figure it out! LOL!
Rho
Scroll down....Forever is the title??
That's it, Rho! Where I got "brick," I'll never know :)

Definitely a fabulous read. If you liked TTW, you'll like this one, too.

Thanks for the research!

D
Already ordered it, lol. I usually try Amazon's used books. got it for $4 including shipping :) Kind of Pillars of the Earthish with the 1600 time, lol. I loved Pillars!
Can't wait to read your review!

D
Debi,
Had someone post this at my other forum where I got the info...thought I would share it with you!

Airs Next: FOX at Tuesday 9:00 PM (60 min.)
Show Categories: Drama, Action/Adventure
New York City homicide detective John Amsterdam is cursed with immortality because he stopped the murder of a Native Indian girl in 1642 by stepping in front of a sword. Due to this act of kindness, the Indian girl rescued Amsterdam from the stab wound by making him immortal, but warns that it is a curse that will only be lifted when John meets his true love.

Now, Amsterdam is a homicide detective in the Big Apple where he shares his secret with Omar, a blues club owner with a few secrets of his own. John is partnered up with Eva Marquez and gets into a chase with a suspect. When he suffers what appears to be a heart attack and is revived by ER doctor Sara Dillane, he realizes that mortality may be closer then he thought.
Wow, sounds kind of familiar, doesn't it? :)

D

P.S. I actually was getting hooked on Journeyman before it got cancelled. First, because I admire the actor Kevin McKidd, and secondly because the series description sounded a great deal like TTW (turned out, not, but I still think there were elements of it in there). Anyway, seven episodes and the network pulled the plug. Grrrrr.
Jodi Piccoult is my all time favorite auther. She just happens to be from New Hampshire which is my home state. I have read all but one of her books and have loved them all. I suggest you just go down the list of her books because you will never be disappointed!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service