I have an "immediate delivery" transcript on Thursday.  I was thinking I'd have everyone on the same Dropbox file and they can go in and access the file throughout the day.  I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it, though, when using four scopists, which is what I'm doing.

I think it might be confusing as to who takes what.  I may just split the files and breaks and then send them.  Not sure yet what to do.

What has been anyone's experience doing dailies with Dropbox with multiple scopists?

Views: 999

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with Joyce that deleting the files is not the optimal solution, just in case.  You certainly can't be too careful.  Heck, even when my proofreader give me proofed files, I still rename it something other than the original file name. 

Yeah, I agree.  You cannot have too many backups.  I think we've all learned from experience on that one.

A scopist that I know that is pretty savvy about this DropBox stuff emailed me a few tips.  I thought I would post them here for anyone else who has questions about DropBox and V5.

Let me see if I can give you some tips so you can avoid some of the problems other reporters have had.  And these things are why I think it is best to test this whole thing out first before doing it on a job where you've got a lot of pressure on delivery time.  I've done this with five different reporters now.  The ones who are careful planners and testers have few problems.  The ones who like to do things on the fly have had some problems at times that have made the job very stressful for everyone involved.
It's best to use as small an audio file as possible.  SPEEX makes the smallest file.  Make sure it works okay on your computer if you are going to use it.  Also make sure your scopists have the SPEEX codec on their computers and have tested a SPEEX file to make sure they can use it.  
 It is best to end out your file and start a new one at the very least lunch, and you may want to do it every break.  
Problems reporters have had:  a poor internet connection.  A lot of courtrooms are terribly slow.  Some reporters use the MIFI thing or aircards that work well, others have terrible problems with the connection dropping, etc.  If you can use the hard wire connection in the depo room it is usually best.  
When the internet connection is poor, the wav does not always update properly, sometimes it does not upload at all.  This is why I like to use an instant messenger, just in case it happens, I can alert the reporter.  If she ends the file as soon as she takes the next break it usually pushes it along so it uploads.  One reporter had to hand drop the wav file into Dropbox manually at each break. 
There is a setting in the preferences in Dropbox for download and upload rate.  You need to check "don't limit" for both.  Otherwise if some other program on your computer turns on automatically and uses the internet it could cause you problems.  You need to keep that bandwith as wide as possible.  Turn off other programs like Windows Update, virus scanning, etc.  
The more scopists you use, the more potential for confusion.  Personally I think the best way to deal with the who has what file is to have everyone on an instant messenger group where we can all post.  I like to have this sort of confirmation:
Scopist 1 says:  Taking file 1000
Scopist 2 says:  Okay.
Scopist 3 says:  Okay.
Scopist 2 says:  Taking file 1030
Scopist 1 says:  Okay.
Et cetera
When I am done with my file I check the feed and see where we are at and then post that I am taking the next file.
If anyone is having a problem with anything it can be handled immediately with instant messenger.  The proofreader can post if we are doing something inconsistently and get us all on the same wavelength.  If the proofreader has not received a file, she can ask when it will be finished.  The reporter can post any spellings, etc for us.  On breaks or at the end of the day we can let the reporter know where we are at so she can have a handle on how we are doing and when we will be finished.
I am careful to use the instant messenger for business only and not chitchat so it doesn't distract everyone from working.  
I don't know if your other scopists have ever worked with Dropbox and the division intervals, if not, they need to familiarize themselves with it and do some sort of trial run.  Some scopists catch on right away, others seem to have all sorts of problems.  If scopists work for multiple reporters on Dropbox, they need to keep an eye on how much space they have left if they are using the free version.  2 or 3 gigs fills up really fast and will freeze up their computer if they let it overflow.  It's best not to work directly in the Dropbox folder but to copy and paste the files into the Eclipse area.  

Well, I took the "immediate delivery" depo on Thursday.  Went off without too many hitches.  Only one is I realized I had no audio for the morning session.  Minor problem.  Good thing the job wasn't super technical.  Anyway, I didn't use the DropBox feature just because it would have gotten confusing with everyone since I had three scopists.

Job was 250 pages.  Got home at 5:40 and had the job turned in by 10:20 p.m.  Whew!!   I'm now doing another one on Tuesday, totally different case.  I'm off and running.

I think it would be easier with two scopists and one take the odd named Dropbox files and the other one take the even named DropBox files.  I bet that would be easier.

Well, I tried the DropBox and V5 yesterday on my job and only the second part of the transcripit showed up in DropBox.  Not quite sure what happened and why the first part is not there.  Very strange.

Anyone know why only half the transcripit would upload?  It was the last 40 pages that was there and that's it. 

Hmm...what kind of Internet connection did you have?  If it worked for the last 40 pages, it sounds like your software had the right settings.  The variable could be your Internet connection.  If you were hard-wired to the Internet, that possibility disappears (unless the Internet system suffered a glitch and you didn't know it).  Other connections (aircards, Wi-Fi, etc.) are not as reliable.  They work in many cases, and it's hard to know why they don't sometimes. 

On the subject of how many scopists work with you on DI, having them rename the file before copying it to their Eclipse folder removes any confusion. 

JD scopes File 1.  Before she does anything, she renames the file (filename)_JD.

CC scopes File 2.    ""   (filename)_CC

GW scopes File 3   ""   (filename)_GW

There's no confusion for DMW when she goes to the Dropbox share folder.  She sees that files 1-3 have been spoken for.  File 4 has no initials after it.  That's the one she takes.  She renames it (filename)_DMW, and she's off to the races.  No need to be IM'g each other back and forth.  The important thing here is that the file is renamed in the DB share folder before it is copied into the Eclipse job folder so that it's obvious to everyone that it's been spoken for.

Do you see that underscore in the renamed file?  Very important. That tells Eclipse to only look at (filename) to match up the .ecl file with the audio file.  Everything from the _ to the end of the renamed file is ignored.

Sorry you had a glitch.  Hope it works better next time.

I have a question about "copying" the files.  How do you do that?  I right clicked on the file and usually there is a tab that says "copy to" but that's not there, so I'm having a difficult time to know how to actually "copy" the file.

Also I was using my MIFI card to send the files.  Maybe that was the issue.  That sucks.  Also, I don't like how you and I set up the audio file to go directly onto Dropbox because then it's not on my computer any longer.  Before, it was on my computer and then also uploaded to Dropbox both.  Now, it's only on Dropbox and my scopist downloaded the audio to her computer so then I don't have it.  Good thing I had copied it to a thumb drive before she did that, but I want to take that off.

Do you remember where we copied and pasted that setting?

When I enter a DB share folder and right-click on a file, I get a dropdown menu and can click on "copy."  It's an ordinary Windows folder and should behave that way.  The other thing you could do is hover the cursor over the file so that it's selected (without opening it) then press Ctrl/c to copy...go to your Ecipse job folder, open Windows Explorer (Ctrl/f Ctrl/f or Ctrl/f, then click on Explore.  When you're in the Windows Explorer folder, press Ctrl/v to paste.  This is how Windows 7 behaves.  Don't know which OS you're on, Kelli.

It's the scopist who points Eclipse to the DB share folder to listen to the audio.  You don't.  You should have your .wav file in the usual place as well as a copy of it placed in the DB share folder for the scopists to listen to.  That's the way it works for my reporters.

It's the reporter who tells Eclipse to send the DI files to the DB share folder.  That location is Alt/u... Programming... File locations... Modify...next screen, usually down at the bottom, is the line we're talking about.  This is what Keith's line looks like: DIVISION= C:\Users\Keith\Dropbox\Keith.  You will have something similar.  We know you do because you were successful with the last 40 pages.

If you have a line in the Modify screen that reads something like this -- WAVPLAY=C:\Users\Joyce\Dropbox\(reporter's Dropbox share folder name) -- delete it.

I sent you Keith Vincent's e-tip #115.  If you need another copy, let me know.  His article is excellent.  He's much better at explaining this than I am.

Note:  Your scopists don't have to set their computer to DB in order to listen to the audio.  They can copy the audio file in DB to their Eclipse job folder and proceed as usual...BUT...the audio file will not update this way.  They'll have to copy the audio file from DB each time they work on a new interval file.  Time consuming and unnecessary.  With their Eclipse program set up the way Keith suggests, the audio file will always be current.

By your scopist copying the audio file to Eclipse, the original audio file remains in DB.  If it disappeared from DB, your scopist did not do the right thing.

Let me know if you need another copy of Keith's e-tip.

Yeah, I set it up on my computer when I was following your directions the other day.  I think that was a mistake; it should be the scopists doing that, not me.  Anyway, I'm going to have to take that off of there.  Don't like that at all.  I couldn't fine the audio file yesterday on my computer anywhere.  When I went to play the audio, it was there.  I finally realized it's accessing it from DB, not from my computer.  That's not how I want it set up.

This is all a trial and error.  I'll eventually figure it out.  Constantly fiddling with it.

Sorry if I confused you, Kelli.  Keith's instructions are straightforward.  Follow them and you can't go wrong.  It was trial and error for my reporters and me too.  I've got a handle on it now.  You will too. 

Eclipse can't compensate for whatever problem you might have with your Internet connection, though.  Once you figure out how to guarantee a good connection, you'll be fine.  Some reporters have good luck with aircards.  So many variables when you're not hard-wired to the Internet.  I've worked on dailies in depo suites that had hard-wired Internet connections available for the participants.  Maybe you'll get lucky there. 

As an aside, your Dropbox files do reside on your computer as well as in cyberspace.  I upgraded DB so I had a lot of storage space, something you might consider if you're going to store audio files there.

Good luck. 

I made up a document explaining how reporters should set up Eclipse for use with Dropbox.  It's attached here.  Check it out, and please let me know any feedback.  Thanks.

Attachments:

Thanks so much for this document, Marla! I've been emailing myself bits of posts for a while, but this is so much better. I really want to set this up before I need it!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Kelli Combs (admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service